The purpose of the drippers and the technology of their installation for different types of roofs
In order to qualitatively isolate the roof from moisture and wind, the presence of a roof covering with waterproofing and insulation layers is not enough. In this case, the edges of the roof remain unprotected. According to physical laws, the flowing moisture is retained at the edges of the roofing, where it can penetrate into the insulation layers, wooden elements of the rafter system and lathing, as well as into the facade of the building. To prevent this from happening, it is necessary to install droppers.
What is a drip
The dripper is an important element of the roofing system, since its main function is to direct the flowing down moisture into the gutters. The elements are rectangular sheets made of various materials and have v-shaped folds. The bending angle of the drip is made depending on the degree of inclination of the roof surface.
This element is mounted on the edge of the roof, adjoining it to the gutter system so that moisture drains directly into the gutter.
On hipped roofs, the drip is mounted around the entire perimeter
In addition to the drainage function, a drip is installed for:
- protection of the roof space from the wind;
- giving the roof an aesthetic look.
Drippers, or, as they are also called, roof strips, are made for the cornice and gable part of the roof. The surface of the material can be matte or glossy.
The names "cornice" and "pediment" speak about the place where the drip is installed in the roof structure.
The droppers differ from each other in the number of folds and the width of the web:
- the cornice element has two folds, the first of which forms the apron and skirt, and the second serves as a stiffening rib on the skirt of the element;
- the pediment drip is made with three folds that form an apron, a step and a skirt.
The pediment drip is easily recognizable by three bends
Manufacturers produce droppers with a length of 200 cm. An additional element of this size will provide the necessary rigidity and convenience during installation work. In this case, its working length will be 190–195 cm, since an overlap is made during butt installation.
The technology for manufacturing a drip involves cutting sheet material into plates, which are bent on a special listogib machine. Such equipment is designed for the manufacture of workpieces with a length of 120 to 400 cm.
The listogib machine is capable of producing droppers with various lengths and bending sizes
When selecting and manufacturing the bend angle of the drip, the slope of the roof slope is taken into account. Typically this parameter is between 110 and 130 degrees.
The amount of bend must be made in proportion to the angle of inclination of the roof
The lower sheet of the drip must hang down into the gutter by at least 1/3. This ensures that water gets into the gutter even in strong winds. The optimum strip thickness is between 0.35 and 0.5 mm.
Video: additional roof elements
Varieties of droppers according to the material of manufacture
Manufacturers use polyvinyl chloride, galvanized steel and steel sheets with a protective coating as materials for the manufacture of a dropper. Quite often, polyethylene is used as a drainage system in outbuildings. Each of these materials is more or less functional.
To understand the individual characteristics of these materials, as well as to determine their positive and negative properties, it is necessary to deal with each of them separately.
Galvanized steel drip tip
Galvanized steel can be classified as traditional roofing. This material has gained great popularity in the manufacture of drainage systems, as it has proven itself well for these purposes. It is easy to find in any construction market at affordable prices. The thickness of the steel sheets used to make the drippers is usually between 0.4 and 0.5 mm.
The use of galvanized steel for the manufacture of droppers has gained great popularity due to the availability and cheapness of the material.
Since the drip is a roofing element, it is susceptible to increased moisture exposure. Steel for its manufacture must be galvanized without fail. A zinc layer applied to the steel sheet will significantly extend the life of the part. The absence of this spraying will lead to the fact that the drip will quickly become covered with rust.
Zinc is applied to the steel coating in two ways.
- Hot method, during which the material is immersed in special containers filled with molten zinc.
- Electrolytic method, when steel sheets immersed in molten zinc are exposed to electric current. As a result of this process, zinc particles are deposited on the surface of the steel sheets.
Despite the great popularity of this material, it has both positive and negative qualities.
Table: Pros and Cons of Galvanized Steel Drippers
Polyvinyl chloride drip tip
Polyvinyl chloride is widely used in drip molds due to its toughness and impact resistance. In the technology of plastic production, special plasticizers are used for these purposes. To increase the resistance of the material to the effects of ultraviolet rays, a special filler is added to it.
Polyvinyl chloride drip tip is UV resistant
Table: Pros and Cons of PVC Drippers
Coated steel drip tip
A polymer-coated steel drip tip can be compared to a galvanized one. In fact, this is the same steel part, but with a large number of protective layers, which significantly increase the strength and durability of the coating.
A drip tip made of steel with protective coatings lasts much longer than a galvanized one
When processing steel for droppers, in addition to galvanizing, chrome plating, a primer and a plastic spraying are worn on both sides. On the construction market, most often there are sheets for droppers with a thickness of 0.3 to 0.5 mm.
Table: pros and cons of steel drippers with protective layers
Installation of a drip on various types of roofs
When carrying out installation work on the installation of a drip under various types of roofing, the following factors must be taken into account.
- A properly installed drip should not interfere with the circulation of air masses in the under-roof space. Obstruction of air exchange in this area of the roof will cause decay of the wooden elements of the rafter system and damage to the insulation layers.
- When installing droppers, distortions are unacceptable. Planks must be installed strictly along the edge of the roof.
- Before installing the drip bar, the protective film must be removed.
- Each subsequent plank must be overlapped.
- The installation of gable drip lines should be carried out from the eaves of the roof in the direction of its top.
The process of installing a drip tip for roofs with different roofing coverings is different. The difference lies in the fact that the dropper for a soft roof is mounted on a solid lathing, and for roofs with a coating of ondulin, metal profiles or tiles - on the initial bar of the sparse lathing.
Installation of a drip for corrugated board, ondulin and tiles
To install the drip, you will need to complete the following construction processes.
- Since the functioning of the drip is closely related to the gutters, these elements must first be installed. The basis for their installation is the frontal board, which must be fixed at the ends of the rafters using self-tapping screws or nails.
The frontal board at the ends of the rafters serves as the basis for the drip, brackets and gutters
- The gutter brackets must be attached to the frontal board in increments of no more than 60 cm.
Brackets are fixed to the frontal board using self-tapping screws
- Install the gutters on the brackets with an overlap of at least 3 cm. Close the element joints with special connectors.
- Place the dropper on the starting bar of the crate. Fasten the element with nails and self-tapping screws, which are staggered at a distance of 25 to 30 cm from each other.
It is necessary to fix the dropper with nails or self-tapping screws carefully so as not to damage the protective coating of the material
- It is necessary to ensure that 1/3 of the lower drip cloth is inside the gutter.
The correct location of the dropper relative to the gutter ensures a high-quality outflow of moisture
- Subsequent drip planks must be mounted with an overlap of at least 5 cm.
The overlap of the drip planks will ensure the tightness of the joints and protect them from moisture penetration
- When the dropper is fixed to the starting lathing strip, a special tape must be attached to its upper canvas, both sides of which have an adhesive surface. To do this, use SP-1 self-adhesive tape. This element plays an important role, as it is the link between the drip surface and the waterproofing.
A special tape will stick the waterproofing layer to the drip
- Pull out the edge of the waterproofing film by gluing it evenly to the top sheet of the drip using the indicated tape.
- Install pediment drippers. Their installation is carried out on the lining material. Place the first element at the edge of the eaves in the direction of the roof ridge. It is necessary to fix the pediment drip with the help of roofing nails, nailing them in a checkerboard pattern with a step of 10 cm.
It is more convenient to install the pediment drip with an assistant.
Installation of a drip for a soft roof
The process of installing a drip for a soft roof (bituminous tiles, roll materials) is similar, the only difference is that for this case, a continuous sheathing is required. To do this, use OSB boards, thick plywood (10-12 mm thick) or butt-attached boards.
A lining layer is placed on top of the solid lathing. For this purpose, bitumen-based roll materials are used. Drip strips are mounted on it.
The drip-tip for soft roofs is installed on the lining material and solid OSB board sheathing
Video: installation of the eaves and drainage system
Based on my own practice of installing a drip, I would like to say that this roofing element must be installed without fail. Unscrupulous or inexperienced roofers may neglect this important detail, referring to the fact that the roof covering was mounted with a projection of 5-10 cm, so the under-roof space and insulation layers are safe. This is a gross mistake, since water drops in a strong wind settle on the ends of the rafter frame, and also fall on the insulation. A similar mistake was made by the builders when erecting the roof of my friends' country house. Less than six years later, such incompetence caused serious repairs to the roof elements damaged by moisture. The problem turned out to be serious, so it was impossible to eliminate it without experienced specialists. Such repairs cost a significant amount, which was many times higher than the cost of material for unidentified drippers. It should also be noted that the thickness of the drip material plays an important role. The greater thickness will preserve the drip and protect the under-roof space from large hail, falling branches or other mechanical damage. This solution will eliminate unforeseen repair costs in the future. Quite often, even with a drip-tube installed, it was noticed that ice forms at its joints. To solve this problem, it was enough to process the places of overlapping sheets with a bituminous mixture, which ensured the strength of the joint and its complete waterproofing.
The presence and correct installation of the dropper will reliably protect the cornices and gables from moisture. This will significantly increase the service life of all under-roof elements of the roof and reduce the number and cost of repairs.
PVC roofing membrane - installation device and technology
PVC membrane for roofing is one of the most effective ways to protect the roof and under-roof space from moisture. Let's take a closer look at why this material deserves attention, what is its advantage, and also share the technology of its application.
Goji, or common wolfberry (Latin Lycium barbarum)
Shrub up to 3.5 meters high with gray bark, sagging thin branches and thorns. It has small fruits up to 1.5 centimeters in diameter, which are not recommended to be consumed raw.
Many people have heard about the new modern material for waterproofing, but few know how a membrane roof works, what it is, and why is it effective? PVC membrane is an elastic, but durable, complex film. Despite its elasticity and apparent fragility, the membrane for the roof has high mechanical strength and a solid margin of service in rather harsh operating conditions.
Features of the
Additional elements for corrugated board have a number of features, among which the following should be noted.
Ease of installation (the process of installing additional elements is quite simple due to the uncomplicated device of the structure itself).
The cheapness of the material (also based on the most "dumb" design of the elements).
Performing many functions (for example, protecting against moisture, preventing heat from escaping from under the roof, providing aesthetic pleasure to the user).
In addition, to the last point, it is worth adding that additional elements perform not only a protective and decorative role, but also cope well with the distribution of air flows under the roof. In this case, the correct removal of cold and warm air masses is ensured, due to which the condensate simply does not have time to accumulate.
Profiled steel sheets, like metal shingles, require a single style of manufacturing elements for accessories. As a matter of fact, at the factory, the manufacturer first cut out the required material, and then bends it. Interestingly, the thickness parameter decreases by about 3 times after such procedures. Consequently, this greatly affects the appearance of the finished product, which is why they begin to divide it into groups and come up with various technical purposes.
Addons are produced in two orders: individual (cheap, but often requires adjustment to the dimensions of the future structure) and in-line (more expensive, but much more convenient in installation, the master is given almost complete freedom of action). Most of the additional elements used in the installation of corrugated roofing are installed at the final stages. However, some components are installed only before the corrugated sheets are fixed. Therefore, you should familiarize yourself with the specifics of the materials used before starting construction work, otherwise you can get not the best quality and aesthetically good result.
The main types of roof accessories are as follows
The most important addition used in the arrangement of a metal roof. Masters recommend using such an extension due to the different temperature conditions in the rafter system and the main covering. The installation process itself is carried out at an early stage, when the frame of the future roof is just beginning to appear. A drip is laid on top of the waterproofing layer, which is why it receives excellent heat-conducting and moisture-wicking properties. Also, using a drip, you significantly extend the service life of the future roof supporting structure. Condensate is discharged through special narrow paths located in the drip chamber.
Therefore, in the absence of an individual drainage system, it is imperative to install a drip, thus protecting your home as much as possible.
These are structural elements of a structure that are capable of forming an angle (more often straight) at their junction. The result is the most simple joining of two slopes or wall covering. As a matter of fact, The valley is a key node in the construction of the entire roofing system. Such an element perfectly copes with the removal of atmospheric precipitation that fell on the corresponding slopes.
Although this increases the maximum possible load on the roof, the ends are incredibly good at protecting the roof from most factors: rain, snow, sunlight.
Such a simple combination of words denotes a longitudinal element that plays a concomitant role in the structure of the roof. It protects the frontal boards from adverse weather conditions (wind, snow, rain). The upper abutment bar contributes to the maximum sealing of the joints between the corrugated sheets (metal tiles) and the front elements.
Such an extension is most often used in cases where it is necessary to bring a pipe to the roof, ensuring the safety and aesthetics of the entire structure.
Such an element of the roofing system most reliably and effectively protects the crate from moisture penetration into it. Installed close to the drain to ensure high-quality drainage of liquid masses. Cornice strips are used in 90% of cases, and their main material is steel. The process of applying protective layers is similar to the process of manufacturing profiled sheets and metal tiles, so you definitely don't need to worry about the quality of the finished product. It turns out that the cornice strip on both sides is covered with anti-corrosion protection: zinc, primer and polymer coating on the front side, as well as a protective varnish.
As mentioned above, the curtain rail prevents water from entering the battens and other important elements of the roof structure. In windy weather, such an element allows you to maintain the maximum thermal package inside the roof. If you neglect the rules and do not install the cornice bar, then the moisture will cause the frontal board and the crate to gradually rot. Water will start to hit the walls of the house, the side wind will almost completely blow through the space under the roof.
The most typical element of roofing, characterized by high protective properties. End strips "protect" the under-roof space from excess wind, debris and other troubles. The second no less important function of the end strip is decorative. This structural element covers the cut edges of the roof, giving the roof a finished look.
The end strip is made of profiled sheet and metal tiles, thanks to which it turns out to be incredibly strong and beautiful. The base of the plank is always covered with several protective layers, including: zinc (provides protection against rust), a passivating layer (thin surface film), primer (improves adhesion for better "connection" with polymers, protects steel from corrosion) and a finishing layer (performs decorative function, does not allow the material to wear out quickly).
This element of the roof structure performs a protective function, sealing various joints on the roof surface. Correctly selected ergonomics also made it possible to create a normal air exchange in the space under the roof. Based on the name, it can be understood that the ridge is the uppermost part of the roof, therefore it is mounted last after the correct and reliable installation of the remaining additional elements. The level of tightness of the structure as a whole and the overall durability of the project being created depend on how correctly the installation of the ridge strip is carried out.
More openly and broadly, the ridge strips are mounted at the joints of the sheets of the material used along the ridge line and the outer fractures of the roof. This type of additional elements reliably protects the under-roof space from the ingress of water, dirt, insects, birds and other external factors into it.
Along with this, air is provided from the under-roof space, starting its ventilation and timely elimination of condensate.
This is, as you might guess, components for keeping snow from avalanche-like collapses. The possibility of installing snow guards is available on all metal roofs. Such accessories perfectly protect home owners from various situations.
In addition, snow retainers prevent damage to gutters and other property at risk.
Basic installation rules
Unlike manufacturing, the installation of a drip can be easily done by hand. This type of work does not require special tools. Installation can be done using: metal scissors, a hammer, nails with a wide head or lining, or self-tapping screws and a screwdriver (curly screwdriver). When all the necessary tools and fasteners are ready, we install a condensate drip according to the following technology:
- from the front (painted) side of the additional roof element made of metal tiles, the film is removed, used to protect against mechanical damage during storage and transportation
- droppers for the cornice are installed immediately after assembling the frame, but before starting the installation of metal tiles. These additional elements are attached using pre-prepared nails and self-tapping screws. As mentioned above, the overlap of the component parts must be at least 10 centimeters.
- frontal additional elements, responsible for the removal of moisture to the gutters, are installed after the installation of the metal tile. Installation should be started not from the ridge, but from the edge of the overhang
- scissors for metal are used if there is a need to cut off an extra piece of an additional roof element made of metal tiles, but if it is not very large, then it is better not to do this. An alternative to cutting can be a larger overlap. If for any reason the part has been cut off, then its factory edge should "look" outward, and just made, inward.
Speaking about the rules of installation, it should be additionally mentioned that many masters in the field of roofing work recommend placing a layer of rubber between the eaves or frontal board and the additional element of the roof made of metal tiles, which acts as a sealant and waterproofing. Such additional protection of wood from moisture and mechanical damage will never be superfluous.
From all of the above, the following conclusion should be drawn: you do not need to make droppers yourself, it is better to purchase ready-made additional elements, they are inexpensive. At the same time, the installation can be done by hand. These works are within the power of any person who at least once held construction tools in their hands. Observing the above rules and using the provided tips, you can carry out the installation as soon as possible.
What kind of roofs are there?
The main types of roofs for private houses
In order to clearly imagine what a gable roof is, look at what other options are used in the construction of private houses. And that's not all, but the most popular are:
- Single-slope - the easiest coating option for construction in the private sector. It is mainly used for country houses and utility rooms.
- Gable - the most common option for country houses. Despite the apparent simplicity, this type is very practical and beautiful in performance.
- Hip - more suitable for houses with a large area. This design is able to withstand very strong wind loads, up to storms, thanks to its streamlined shape.
- Half-hip - this option is done more for beauty, since this is a prototype of a gable roof with cut corners from the ends of the ridge.
- Hip - pyramidal shape is suitable for square buildings. In fact, this is a prototype of a hip roof.
- Vaulted - rarely used for residential construction, although it is no exception.
For a rectangular house with an area of 60 to 100 m2, the option with two slopes can be called the most suitable - it is simple to perform and inexpensive to implement. In addition, there you can equip not only an attic, but also an attic.
To install a weather vane, we need:
- metal bracket
- combined rivets
- drill for metal
- die or lerka (run)
- washers and nuts
It is most convenient to mount the weather vane on the pipe cap. For this, the metal thickness of the cap must be at least 1.5 mm.
1. Install a metal bracket - a brace diagonally into the hood. As a bracket, you can use a steel strip up to 2 mm thick, bent at both ends by 3-5 cm. It is better to fasten the bracket to combined rivets using a rivet.
2. With a drill we drill a hole in the cap for the diameter of the weather vane rod.
3. At the end of the vane stand, cut the thread using a die or a stick.
4. Put on the nut and washer.
5. Insert the wind vane post into the hole, orienting the wind rose with a compass.
6. Put on the second set of washers and nuts, and attach the weather vane stand to the brace.
Installing a weather vane will not take you much time, and your house will literally be transformed, having received such an interesting decorative element. It is the weather vane that will emphasize the style and personality of your home, help you always know the direction of the wind and protect the pipe from blowing out.