Coniferous rockery from scratch in a couple of days - master class
Rockery in landscaping or creating a rocky garden
One of the most popular objects of the rocky garden is the rockery. This magical garden composition adorns the countryside throughout the warm half of the year, inspired by the motives of Asian landscape design. It can be complemented by a gardener or designer who loves to experiment. But there must be two rules in a garden composition: stone and dwarf ornamental garden plantings. If you remove or replace at least one element, then the composition loses its message and is no longer a rockery. The ideal place for him is an open area or a small terrace. Plants are selected unpretentious and retaining their decorative effect for a long time.
It is not difficult to embody the idea of a rocky flower bed on your site, even a novice gardener can cope with this. This explains the growing popularity of rockeries. They are simple and complex:
- rockery for cottages and gardens... For a large-scale composition, huge boulders, small stones of local rocks, many types of dwarf crops are selected. They make their way through large stones, and free space is filled with small stones. In a small area, it is quite possible to abandon the use of a boulder, you can get by with medium and small rocks. The number of plants used also depends on the scale of the free space.
- tiered rockery with water element... Such a composition requires preparatory work. The fountain is most often the element of water. For him, you need to prepare a pond and a water pump. To ensure that the water is always clear and does not bloom, a cleaning filter is installed on the pump. Such a rockery is a large-scale composition, in the center of which there is a small pond, and in the center of a huge boulder there is a fountain. Water flows through it into a reservoir. There are dwarf cultures around, which perfectly tolerate the "neighborhood" with water. If possible, the pond can be made large and water plants can be planted in it.
In any case, rockeries should not be a separate element. It is part of the entire landscape, blending harmoniously into it. The appearance defines the given overall style of the garden. Therefore, having decided to create this composition on your site, it is important to think in advance about the place, scale, size and number of stones, which types of plants are most suitable. If the owners are rarely in the country, then it is important to think over how much time you need to devote to caring for a rocky flower bed.
Principles and rules for creating rockeries with conifers
Before you make a rockery from conifers, you need to decide on the place of its arrangement, size, and also choose suitable stones and plants. When decorating stone gardens, you must adhere to certain rules:
- avoid symmetry in the arrangement of composition elements
- it is advisable to choose natural shapes of stones with smooth outlines
- stones and conifers should be perceived as a whole
- all details should look equally beautiful both up close and at a distance.
All rockeries, including conifers, are usually divided into 3 types:
Their differences are that the temporary one is created for the purpose of future plant replacement, and the stable one is erected on several belts. Upgrade lovers will appreciate the choppy rockery. This composition allows you to add new and remove old plants as needed. Thus, the slide will not become boring, and its owner will be able to admire the new look of the rocky garden.
The place for creating a decorative rocky garden should be spacious and well-lit. It is advisable to choose a site in the southwest or southeast. The most harmoniously fit into the countryside landscape of rockeries with an area of 3.5 sq. m. You can place it in a corner, near a gazebo, recreation area or other suitable place.
Soil preparation and slide formation
Preparation of a place for laying stones begins with removing the sod layer and digging a pit 20-30 cm deep. The soil is well cleared of weeds and roots, then returned back. Where large stones will be located, drainage is prepared. To do this, a deepening is made in the soil, a layer of a mixture of equal parts of sand and expanded clay or fine gravel 10 cm thick is poured onto the bottom and watered abundantly for compaction. The soil surface can be additionally covered with geotextiles to limit weed growth.
Preparation of stones
Rockery stones are usually chosen in natural colors to enhance the beauty of conifers. They can also complement the color of the surrounding objects, the facade of the house, gazebos, or, conversely, be in contrast with them. All selected stones should be from the same breed and be combined with each other to create a complete picture. Experienced gardeners are advised to choose sedimentary or igneous rocks such as basalt and sandstone due to their characteristic texture.
Photos of rockeries and recommendations for their creation
Ten, or even fifteen years ago, in all books and magazines related to landscape design and architecture, a clear line was drawn between the concepts of rock garden and rockery. Today, many landscape designers associate both terms together and call this garden magic a rocky garden. Which, in essence, instantly equates both to a garden of stones, made, as expected, in the best traditions of the Japanese style. Although, in fact, this is absolutely not the case. How to make an automatic watering system for a plot, read
on this page.
Miniature rockery at home looks more than original
Among other things, these landscape "techniques" are used in small garden plots, where they were awarded the title of "hills", as a result, complete confusion formed in my head. What is rockery, how is it related to Japan, or maybe its homeland somewhere in the Alps? In order to at least define the concept of rockery, you need to refer to the terminology.
Rockery - what is it?
So, rockery is a decorative garden composition, which is certainly associated with elements of stones and dwarf ornamental plants. Often, the magic of rockeries is placed in an open space or on small terraces. But a rock garden is a hill of stones, and sometimes even a hill with small creeping plants, which are characteristic of the Alps and the subalpine climate. For the rock garden, it is necessary to build special drainage systems. The main difference between rock garden and rockery is precisely the drainage system. For what reason?
The reason lies in the fact that the plants that are used to create rockeries do not require special conditions, and are also completely simple to care for and maintain. Moreover, even an amateur gardener can build such beauty - no special knowledge is needed for this. Therefore, rockery is gaining more and more popularity both among specialists and among amateurs.
But a rock garden requires not only special knowledge from gardeners, but also often a lot of time that needs to be spent on landscaping plants in a general compositional atmosphere.
Types of rockeries
It is not difficult to create the simplest rockery on your own, sometimes, for this it will be enough to take a few stones and plant ornamental plants between them. It takes a little more effort to create complex rockeries.
In order to understand what rockery is, it is necessary to analyze specific examples:
- Rockery in the country. In most cases, dacha rockeries are placed on a plot of 6-7 acres and make it not exactly the main accent, but still one of the brightest compositions of the dacha. A flowerbed area lined with stones with striking multi-colored flowers will be an excellent decoration for a summer cottage. You can even create a layered composition with creeping plants.
- Rockery in the garden. The composition that is created on the garden plot often differs not only in size, but also in the variety of plants and stones used for planting. For such a composition, both huge boulders and small stones are suitable. Cascading structures and compositions with waterfalls and decorative ponds will look great on the personal plot. Large-scale rockeries will need to spend a lot of time at the first stage in order for all the elements to form a common composition and become a single whole.
- Rockery in the apartment. The creation of a rockery in an apartment assumes the presence of a balcony and a small space where this magic would find a place. You should monitor the moisture content of the soil and the light that the composition will receive. There are no particular complaints, rockery is unpretentious not only in open areas, but also in an enclosed space.
Photos of beautiful rockeries with descriptions
Of course, in order to make rockeries a part of the site, and not just a stand-alone composition, it is necessary that it be in harmony with the general style of the entire surrounding landscape and be sustained in accordance with the design decision. For this reason, it is necessary to initially think about what exactly should be included in the composition of the rockery. Consider which stones will be used, which plants are best suited for the composition, what the resulting size of the rockery will be, and how much time it will take to maintain the rockery system. How to make a swan out of a tire, read here: http://landscapediz.com/uchastok/elementy-uchastka/rukovodstvo-kak-sdelat-lebedya-iz-shiny.html.
Today there are a huge variety of rockeries, but the main ones are the following:
- mini rockery. It is this type of composition that is perfect for apartments or as an addition to the overall composition of a recreation area.
How to choose plants
According to the canon, the plant part of rockery should be miniature conifers and alpine plants. However, the latter are not always easy to find and grow, so they can be replaced with any small unpretentious plants, both perennial and annual.
Here are some guidelines and tips for choosing plants for a rocky garden:
- Plants that are traditionally used to create rockeries are divided into 5 groups: miniature conifers, miniature decorative deciduous and flowering shrubs, herbaceous perennials, ground cover plants, bulbs and annuals.
- All plants should be small - no higher than 50 cm
- It is desirable that the plants bloom all season, because if the “neighbors” can hide the faded leaves in the garden, then in the rockery this will not be possible
- 1-3 plants should play the role of accents in the composition.
Photo of beautiful rockeries with conifers