How to save cracked cabbage and diversify your menu
It makes no sense to lay the cracked cabbage for storage: such a head of cabbage will quickly deteriorate. In order not to throw away the harvest, vegetables can be pickled, rolled up in jars or fermented. Cabbage twists will diversify the diet in winter.
Making Provencal salad
To prepare a canned vegetable salad, you will need to take a set of products consisting of:
- white cabbage - 1 kg;
- carrots - 1 pc.;
- bell pepper - 1 pc.;
- onions - 1 pc.;
- garlic cloves - 2 pcs.
Marinade is prepared from the following ingredients:
- table vinegar - 5 ml;
- sunflower oil - 45 ml;
- granulated sugar - 60 g;
- salt - 1 tbsp. l .;
- boiled water - 125 ml.
Vegetables are washed. The cabbage head is thinly chopped. Grind the carrots with a grater or cut into thin strips. Sweet peppers are also chopped into strips.Garlic is crushed into a gruel using a grater, or passed through a press. A deep vessel is filled with cool boiled water. Add salt and sugar to it. Mix thoroughly. Bring the liquid to a boil.
Pour in vegetable oil and vinegar.
Vegetable slices are placed in a large saucepan, mixed. Garlic is added to it. Pour the boiled marinade over the contents of the pan, cover the salad with a plate and place the load on it. Leave the container with vegetables in a cool place for a day. The ready-made Provencal salad is laid out in the jars. The product is stored in the refrigerator for no more than 20 days.
Cooking autumn vegetable stew
To prepare a canned vegetable stew, you need to stock up on ingredients:
- white cabbage - 0.5 kg;
- carrots - 2 pcs.;
- tomatoes - 4 fruits;
- zucchini - 1 pc.;
- bell pepper (optional ingredient) - 4 pcs.;
- onions - 2 heads;
- table vinegar - 1 tsp. on the bank;
- salt and sugar - at your discretion;
- sunflower oil - for frying.
Vegetables are washed and peeled. The peel is cut off from carrots and zucchini. The seeds are extracted from the pepper and the cabbage head is finely chopped. The rest of the vegetables are cut into medium cubes of the same size (2x2 cm). Carrots are grated or finely chopped.Sliced vegetables are fried in a pan in sunflower oil for a quarter of an hour, and then stewed under the lid. First, onion and carrots are fried, then zucchini and pepper are added to them, then chopped cabbage is added. The stew is salted, a little sugar is added to it.
It should be stewed under a lid over low heat for half an hour.
The finished hot stew is laid out in liter jars, which have been previously sterilized. Table vinegar (1 tsp) is added to each. Banks with vegetable stock are rolled up. Store them in a cool place.
Kvassim with beets
To prepare a blank, you need to stock up on ingredients:
- white cabbage - 2.5 kg;
- beets - 400 g;
- water - 1 l;
- salt, sugar - 30 g each;
- peppercorns - at your discretion.
Vegetables are washed and dried. The head of cabbage is cut into 2 halves. Each of them is cut into slices, and then into small pieces (2x2 cm). Beets are cut into thin slices, and cool boiled water is poured into a separate container. Dissolve salt with granulated sugar in it.Vegetable slices are placed in a plastic bucket. Put the cabbage in a container in layers, alternating them with beet slices and adding peppercorns. Pour the contents of the bucket with brine, press down with a load. Leave the container with vegetable slices indoors at room temperature for 4-7 days. After that, the sauerkraut is brought out into the cold.
[Votes: 2 Average: 5]
1. Hot seasoning. Pour 250 g of wood ash into a bucket. Add to it 2 tbsp. l. dry mustard (powder) and common salt, as well as 1 tbsp. l. black pepper (also in powder). Mix with a stick and sprinkle the prepared seasoning on the ground between the cabbage bushes. Make sure that the spicy mixture does not get on the leaves of the vegetable.
2. Lime. For the malicious enemies of white cabbage - slugs - fill in thin paths in the aisles from a mixture of dolomite flour and slaked lime. The proportions are 1: 1 or 1: 2.
3. Coarse sand. His slugs also do not like it, it is the coarse sand that hurts the delicate belly of the pests. It is enough to scatter a few scoops between the bushes. Additionally, a few pine needles can be poured over the sand - slugs will never risk crawling along such a "carpet" to cabbage leaves.
Salt quickly and tasty - recipes
There are a great many ways of salting cabbage, each of them has its own flavor. Salted cabbage can be obtained in a day, as opposed to pickling. We bring to your attention some interesting recipes containing various additional ingredients. For salting, you will need three-liter jars.
Preparation of ingredients
We will not separately talk about how to prepare vegetables for salting in each recipe. We will dwell on this issue separately, since they are still the same.
- We remove the top leaves from the forks, as they may have dust and minor damage from insects. We cut out a stump of each fork. Shred cabbage in different ways. Can be in strips or in chunks, depending on the recipe. For chopping, use a knife, a shredder board or a special knife with two blades, as it is convenient for anyone.
- We wash the carrots in cold water, remove the peel, rinse again and lay out on a napkin to dry. This vegetable is chopped either on a grater, or cut into small strips with a knife.
- If the recipe provides for black or allspice peas, bay leaves, then they must be rinsed in cold water and dried before being added to salting.
- If garlic is used in the recipe, then it is divided into cloves, the integumentary scales are cleaned, washed and chopped in accordance with the recommendations of the recipe.
Recipe 1 - in brine without vinegar per day
Pouring with hot brine allows you to get salted cabbage quickly. The salting is ready in a day. Not only white cabbage varieties are suitable for this recipe, but also red cabbage. In the traditional way that our ancestors used, they cut a vegetable for pickling into pieces. When serving, you can add any greens, onions. As a rule, salads with cabbage are seasoned with vegetable oil.
- head of cabbage - 1 piece
- carrots - 1 piece
- black or allspice - 5-6 peas
- lavrushka - 3-5 leaves
- water - 1 liter
- salt (not iodized) - 30 grams
- granulated sugar - 15 grams.
- Mix cabbage with carrots on the table or in a basin and mix well and knead.
- We spread the first layer in a dry sterile jar, add pepper and bay leaves. We compact the mass. If your hand doesn't fit into the jar, you can use a mashed potatoes. We fill the jar not to the very top, leave it free about 5 cm, fill it with hot brine and pierce it to penetrate the brine to the very bottom.
- Pour salt and granulated sugar into boiling water, mix well. Bring to a boil again and fill the jars.
You don't need to cover the jar. It is placed on a pallet (the juice rises upward during salting and can overflow) in a warm place. After 24 hours a sample can be taken. Store the jar in the refrigerator or basement.
Fast cabbage per day in cold brine:
Recipe 2 - with garlic per day
You can pickle cabbage with garlic. It turns out very tasty. You don't have to stock up on special ingredients.
- kilogram of white cabbage
- one carrot
- 3 or 4 cloves of garlic
- one liter of water
- half a glass of granulated sugar
- two tablespoons of salt
- a glass of table vinegar
- water - 1 liter, it is not recommended to take tap water to prepare the brine, as it contains chlorine
- table vinegar - 1 glass
- vegetable oil - half a glass.
How to salt
For salting cabbage for a day, use a jar or pan. White cabbage is placed in a container in layers, then carrots and garlic. Fill the filled dishes with boiling brine.
How to prepare brine, now we will tell you:
- Pour salt and sugar into boiling water, pour in vegetable oil.
- When the water boils again, remove from the stove, add table vinegar.
For 24 hours the cabbage will be salted in the room. Salted in this way, cabbage is stored in the refrigerator.
Recipe 3 - instant cabbage
Have you tried cooking salted cabbage for an hour? If not, then we offer you an interesting recipe. Try it, you won't regret it. After all, situations often happen when salted cabbage is needed quickly, as people say, yesterday.
You don't have to wait several days as traditional recipes require. Just 60 minutes and you're done. And it turns out not only quickly, but also surprisingly tasty!
Stock up on these products:
- forks for 2 kg
- carrots - 2 pieces
- sweet bell pepper - 1 or 2 pieces
- garlic - 5 or 6 cloves (depending on taste).
Chop the head of cabbage, as small as possible, grate the carrots on a Korean grater. To make the dish look festive, you can cut the carrots into thin slices. Bell peppers are cleaned of seeds and partitions and cut into thin strips.
Vegetables are alternately laid out in a jar in layers: the first and the last are cabbage.
- water - 1 liter
- coarse salt - 70 grams
- sugar - 100 grams
- refined oil - 200 ml
- table vinegar - 100 ml (if vinegar essence, then 2 tablespoons).
Place a pot of water on fire and bring to a boil. Salt and sugar it. If it seems to you that there is not enough salt, you can add to taste. But look, do not oversalt! Then add the rest of the ingredients except the vinegar. Pour it in after removing the pan from the stove.
We use boiling brine for pouring. When the jar of vegetables has cooled down, you can try. Fast and delicious cabbage is ready for use not in a day, but in an hour.
But you understand that this cannot stop our hostesses who want to always have such a wonderful piece at hand. After all, it can be served with various herbs, onions. And what a delicious vinaigrette turns out - you will lick your fingers.
Fans of oriental cuisine achieve an amazing taste by adding coriander and hot pepper.
Why yeast is good for plants
Yeast is very useful for cultivated plants:
- it is a good growth stimulant and a source of beneficial bacteria
- yeast feeding activates root formation: the results of experiments showed that the substances secreted by yeast cells into the water accelerate the appearance of roots by 10-12 days, increase their number by 2-10 times! And where there is an active growth of roots, there the greens develop powerful and healthy
- plants fed with yeast solution become stronger and more resilient
- seedlings fertilized with yeast in early spring are less stretched out and better tolerate picking
- a very good watering effect was noted when rooting strawberry rosettes.
Yeast dressings are useful for all vegetable crops, strawberries, flowers. The use of a yeast solution has also proven itself excellently as a foliar feeding.
This is what it means to grow by leaps and bounds
Growing microgreens at home point by point
The entire process of growing a "batch" of microgreens usually takes 5 to 10 days. To grow your favorite microgreens at home, you need:
- Soak the seeds for 2-4 hours in water at room temperature or slightly warmer in any container, placing them in a warm place and covering them with a piece of cloth. If the swelling is slow, the seeds are large, the soaking time can be increased to 8-12 hours.
- Drain and rinse seeds with clean water.
- If using a germinator, fill the bottom container of the tray with water, leaving 1 cm to the top. Cover the filled container with the top perforated bottom tray.
- If microgreens are germinated on cotton wool, gauze or in a substrate, fill the selected container with a layer 2 to 5 cm high for soil and about 0.5 cm for gauze. The base is moistened with a spray bottle.
- Swollen seeds are evenly distributed in a thin layer over the substrate or mesh. The larger the seeds, the tighter they can be laid out. It is advisable to leave gaps between the small ones.
- From above, the seeds must be abundantly moistened with a spray bottle. Covering with foil or glass stabilizes moisture. You need to ventilate the shelter daily, after the emergence of shoots, it must be removed.
- If sprouters are used, before the roots begin to grow and the seeds are securely "fixed" in the net, the sprouts are kept in a bright, warm (from 18 to 22 degrees) place. In the future, the plants begin to be washed twice or three times a day, pulling out the upper part with the sprouts and rinsing them under running water.
- Additional lighting speeds up the process, but you can just put containers on the lightest windowsill.
- The moisture content of the seeds, air and soil must be kept constant, as well as the water level in the lower container for double containers.
- The seedlings need to circulate fresh air.
As soon as the sprouts rise to a height of 4-7 cm and get stronger, the first true leaves will begin to develop, and the long-awaited harvest of microgreens is harvested. It can be eaten immediately or stored for several days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
The concentration of vitamins, minerals and nutrients in microgreens is several tens of times higher than those of adult plants