When to plant garlic in November 2020
The winter planting of garlic in most regions is completed by the end of October, but in places where the autumn is long and warm, you can sow garlic in November.
When to plant
It is best to sow onion plants, which include winter garlic, on the waning moon. The beginning of November 2020 falls precisely on this lunar phase, which ends on November 15 at New Moon. Auspicious days for planting garlic during this period are the 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th, 12th and 13th. The last date for a successful sowing is November 14, 15 will already be the full Moon, and during the Full Moon, as well as the day before and the day after, planting plants is still undesirable.
If in your area real cold weather comes closer to the New Year's holiday, then you can plant winter garlic in the second half of the last month of autumn: 18, 19, 22-24 and from 27 to 29 November. However, planting on the growing moon does not guarantee friendly germination in spring and high plant resistance to unfavorable environmental factors in the future. And the harvest may turn out to be more modest and not as high-quality as it could be if you plant garlic on the waning moon.
Do not sow on the day of the Full Moon (November 30) and New Moon (November 15), as well as the day before and on the day after.
Sowing is carried out when the temperature of the upper soil layer drops to 10-12 ⁰C. In order for garlic to successfully overwinter in the ground, the cloves must grow 12-15 roots at least 5-6 cm long before the onset of frost, which usually takes from a month to one and a half. However, if green shoots have time to appear, they will die in winter. Take this into account when calculating your landing dates.
After which plants can garlic be planted
The best antecedents for garlic are squash (squash, cucumber, squash), cereals, cabbage, and herbs. Garlic should not be grown after any variety of onions, cloves and daffodils, as well as after celery, parsnips, radishes and parsley, potatoes, rapeseed, beets and carrots, as there is a risk of nematode head damage. It is also undesirable to grow garlic after legumes and nightshade plants.
Winter garlic can be planted on the site again only after 2-3 years.
A plot for winter garlic is prepared in advance, one to two weeks before planting. The optimal width of a garlic bed is 1 m and a height of 25 cm.
Garlic grows better on sandy loam soils, so heavy soil must be dug to a depth of 25 cm with sand, adding 5-6 kg of rotted manure mixed with 400 g of wood ash, 20 g of potassium sulfate and 30 g of superphosphate for each m². A day or two before planting, add 10 g of ammonium nitrate to the soil on the same unit of area and water the area well.
Remember to remove all weeds and roots when preparing your garden. If you have a concern that pathogens may be in the soil, spill it with a solution of 1 tablespoon of copper sulfate in 10 liters of water and keep it under a film until planting.
Planting teeth should be large, dry, dense, without deformations and signs of disease or pest infestation. It is necessary to separate the seeds from the bottom, peel them from the covering shell and place for a couple of hours in a warm solution of potassium permanganate of medium strength. Or hold them for 3 minutes in a solution of 1 tablespoon of salt in 1 liter of water, and then the same amount in a solution of 1 teaspoon of copper sulfate in 2 liters of water.
Processing is carried out immediately before sowing. After disinfection, the planting material must be well dried: the seeds must lie dry in the ground.
Planting winter garlic
Make several furrows in the soil at intervals of 25 cm and place the seeds in them in 10 cm increments. The planting depth should be such that there is a layer of soil 3-4 cm thick above the crown of the cloves.If the planting of garlic in autumn is too shallow, it will freeze in winter.
You do not need to press the slices into the ground: you can thus hinder the development of the roots. Fill the furrows with rotted compost or dry fertile soil.
Landing features in the regions
You can plant garlic in November only where the autumn is long and warm, that is, in the south of Ukraine and the Russian Federation. In Siberia and the Urals, planting is usually completed before the third decade of September, in Belarus - until the end of October, and in central Russia - until mid-October.
How to plant spring garlic - who benefits from spring planting?
In regions with cold winters, the surface of the beds after planting is mulched with dry leaves, sawdust or a layer of peat. If you live in the south, where frost is rare, you don't need to lay mulch. In areas with a harsh climate, on top of the mulching layer, the planting is covered with spunbond and removed only with the onset of spring heat.
- Read the topic on Wikipedia
- Features and other plants of the Amaryllidaceae family
- List of all species on The Plant List
- More information on World Flora Online
Sections: Garden plants Amaryllidaceous Onion Bulb vegetables
Planting garlic in 2020: when to plant, timing
Providing optimal conditions for the growth and development of garlic requires an integrated approach based on various agricultural techniques and following natural rhythms. And you need to start by choosing the most favorable time for planting a culture in accordance with the phases of the moon. Therefore, in order for the planting of garlic in 2020 to be carried out correctly, it must be carried out according to the lunar calendar, while observing the rules of agricultural technology.
Rules for planting winter garlic in autumn, favorable days for planting in October-November 2020
Winter garlic is a great option for those who did not have time to plant a crop on the site in the spring. It is cultivated in all regions, and the optimal planting days for each of them are different. Many people advise planting garlic before winter in 2020 according to the lunar calendar, which reflects favorable and unfavorable days for planting work. At the same time, the correct technology must be observed so that the plant takes root well and gives a rich harvest.
Benefits of planting garlic in autumn
Many experienced vegetable growers recommend planting garlic in the fall.
There are several reasons for this:
- The heads grow larger and denser than when planted in spring.
- The growing season of the vegetable decreases. After the onset of warmth, winter garlic immediately begins to grow, while spring garlic is only planted in the ground at this time. Thanks to the autumn planting, the harvest is dug up 20-40 days earlier.
- In the spring, the time saved on planting can be spent on other gardening work.
Although planting garlic in fall and spring is largely the same, there are significant differences. When planting before winter, the planting material is placed deeper and in several tiers. Winter varieties are planted more densely, but this does not affect the size of the harvest. They do not suffer from low temperatures if the spring is cold. Plants still take root and grow quickly.
Planting winter garlic in 2020 according to the lunar calendar
To determine the dates of planting of plants and vegetables, the lunar calendar is used, a convenient device for gardeners and gardeners, which helps to calculate the most suitable days for replanting seeds, depending on the state of the moon.
This method is used by experienced gardeners as the most effective and reliable. Winter garlic is always planted before the onset of cold weather, so that it overwinters under the snow and sprouts in the spring. The lunar calendar warns gardeners:
Favorable days for planting garlic in October-November 2020 according to the lunar calendar
- in October - 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
- in November - 1, 2, 17, 18, 19.
But even if specific dates are indicated in the lunar calendar, it is important to pay attention to other indicators:
- Soil temperature should not exceed 12 degrees.
- The ground should not be subject to frost, planting should be carried out before the onset of cold weather.
- The day should be favorable for planting, if the weather is warm, the procedure should be performed according to the calendar.
- The lunar calendar is designed for average indicators; in some regions, landing should be done according to excellent rules. For example, in December, garlic is usually planted only by residents of the southern regions.
Preparation of soil and planting material
Before the start of planting, prepare the inventory:
- If a shallow landing is selected, a rake and a hoe are needed to work.
- When placing the slices at a depth of 7 to 9 cm, you will need a hand plow.
- If the depth of the planting material is more than 10 cm, use a peg and a hammer.
- To make the planting depth the same, a mark is made on the peg.
The place for the garden is chosen taking into account the crop rotation:
- Good predecessors for a vegetable are cruciferous, melons, nightshade crops or greens. They saturate the soil with useful elements necessary for garlic.
- Areas not suitablewhere any root crops used to grow. They drain the soil and leave behind pests to which the vegetable is susceptible.
In the same place, garlic can be planted only after 5 years.
The best predecessors for planting winter garlic: after which crops can you plant garlic before winter?
Note! Naturally, if you want to get a rich harvest of winter garlic, then plant it, like any vegetables, according to the rules of crop rotation. About, after what crops can garlic be planted before winter, read in this article.
For planting winter garlic, a well-lit area on a hill is chosen so that water does not accumulate there.
- Sandy loam or loam with low acidity or neutral is best suited.
- The preparation of the beds begins a month before the expected date of planting.
- The compost is spread over the surface at 6 kg per 1 m².
- Another option is 10 g of potassium chloride and 40 g of superphosphate for the same area.
- The bed is dug up and leveled.
- A few days before planting, urea is introduced at 30 g per 1 m² and watered abundantly with warm water.
Preparation of planting material
- Before planting, the selected heads are placed in a cool place for several days with a temperature of + 1 ° C to + 3 ° C.
- Then the teeth are carefully separated from each other so as not to damage the scales.
- All copies with damage and decay are thrown away.
Only large slices with a flat surface without damage are suitable for planting.
The selected slices are disinfected by placing them in a strong solution of potassium permanganate for a quarter of an hour.
- Instead of potassium permanganate, you can use copper sulfate or the drug "Fitosporin-M".
- Sometimes disinfection is carried out by showering the slices with colloidal sulfur powder.
Rules for winter planting of garlic
- The surface of the prepared bed is leveled with a rake.
- Then make grooves or grooves if deep placement of the lobules is planned.
- An interval of 20 to 25 cm is observed between the rows.The teeth are planted at a distance of 8 cm.
- They are laid down with their bottom or on their side.
- Furrows are covered with fertile soil and watered with warm water.
- Mulch from peat, humus, straw or sawdust is laid on top.
- The layer is made at least 3 cm.
- If the winter is frosty in the region and the air temperature drops below -25 ° C, spruce branches are additionally placed on top. It additionally insulates the soil and traps snow.
In the fall, no more events are needed.
In the spring, after the snow melts, the large mulch is removed, and the small one is left to protect it from recurrent frosts.
- The first sprouts of winter garlic appear in late March or April.
- 15 days after their germination, top dressing is performed with a solution of carbamide from 10 l of water and 20 g of the preparation.
- Fertilizers are re-applied after another 15 days.
- During active growth, the bed is regularly cleared of weeds and carefully loosened. In spring, garlic is poured with warm water once every 7 days.
At the beginning of June, one more top dressing is performed.
- This time, drugs with a high content of potassium and phosphorus are used.
- Instead of mineral complexes, you can water the plantings with an ash solution.
About, how can you fertilize a bed for winter garlic and feed it throughout the season, you can read in detail here.
In the summer, the garden is watered 1-2 times a week.
- If the weather is hot and dry, the frequency of irrigation is increased.
- The next day after moistening, loosening is performed.
- Soil moistening is stopped 20 days before harvesting.
Varieties of winter garlic for planting before winter
|Variety||Ripening period||Number of teeth in the head||Bulb weight||Taste qualities||Productivity per sq. m.|
|Gribovsky-60||Early ripening (86-97 days)||7-10||40-65 g||Acute||2-2.5 kg|
|Gribovsky jubilee||Mid-season (84-121 days)||8-12||25-45 g||Semi-sharp||1.3-1.9 kg|
|Zubrenok||Early ripe (87-99 days)||4-7||50-70 g||Acute||1.1 kg|
|Reliable||mid-season (99-122 days)||4-7||55-75 g||Acute||1.0-1.3 kg|
|Novosibirsk||Very early (75-81 days)||5-10||20-25 g||Semi-sharp||0.9-1.1 kg|
|Winter Komsomolets||Medium late (110-119 days)||6-13||30-35 g||Acute||1.1-1.3 kg|
|Podmoskovny||Mid-season (95-112 days)||5-7||60 g||Acute||1.6-2 kg|
In addition to the species listed in the table, in the fall, gardeners grow Alkor, Antonnik, German, Dobrynya, Dubkovsky, Komsomolets, Doctor, Lyubasha, Polessky, Skif, Sofievsky.
If the listed varieties are planted in the spring months, only the tops will grow. The heads will not develop in the soil.
Features of planting winter garlic in the regions
Planting garlic in the fall before winter in the Moscow region
Actually, there is not much difference between growing winter garlic in Ukraine and in the Moscow region - it all depends on when and how winter starts. If winter starts with a snowfall, then you don't even have to cover the garlic with a film, but if the winter is snowless during severe frosts, the garlic will freeze without cover. The most important thing is not to let the crops freeze in the soil, so be guided by the amount of snow: a lot of snow - do not cover the garlic, a little - cover. In the spring, when the shoots appear, all your fears will be left behind.
Planting garlic before winter in the Urals
Ural gardeners recommend not mulching garlic planting in winter, but simply covering them from frost with roofing material or film. It is better to mulch the plot in spring, when the seedlings hatch. In addition, if over the years the garlic becomes smaller and worse, the Urals recommend using bulbs as planting material not cloves: in the first year, the bulbs will give medium-sized single-tooth bulbs, but in the second year they will become noticeably larger.
The Urals do not recommend loosening the soil, because when loosening, the upper row of roots is chopped off, and the plant may receive less of some nutritional element, it will weaken and, possibly, even hurt. A site mulched in spring makes loosening an unnecessary procedure and keeps the plant healthy.
Planting garlic before winter in Siberia
In Western Siberia, the dates for planting winter garlic are earlier - from mid-September to the first week of October. In addition, covering the area with crops with roofing material before snow falls is mandatory. Otherwise, planting and caring for garlic is not much different from these processes in other areas.
How to plant winter garlic in the fall
An important condition for obtaining a bountiful harvest is the correct choice of garlic variety and planting technology. Before winter, winter garlic is planted on the beds. You can distinguish it from a spring crop by the following features:
- the head consists of 4-12 large teeth located around a solid shaft
- the teeth are covered with a pinkish shell, they are distinguished by a sharp, burning taste
- winter garlic is not suitable for long-term storage, is used for winter harvesting or is used as a seed.
Pay special attention to the preparation of planting material. For planting, use the largest, smoothest, cleanest slices without damage and signs of deterioration.The covering scales are removed from the denticles and placed in a disinfecting solution, which prevents infection with gray mold or fungal infections.
The slices are kept in a weak solution of potassium permanganate or 1% solution of copper sulfate for 20-30 minutes, then dried well. You can dip the garlic in a salt solution (for 1 liter of water, 1 tablespoon of salt), stand for 3 minutes, dry well before planting.
When choosing a site, the composition of the soil is taken into account. For garlic beds, fertile soils with normal or reduced acidity are suitable. You should not break the beds in the place where tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, carrots, beets grew before. According to the rules of crop rotation, it is better to plant this crop in the place where zucchini, pumpkins, peas, and corn used to grow.
If there was previously garlic on the selected area, it is possible to plant a winter crop only after 2-3 years. Failure to comply with the rules of crop rotation (crop rotation) leads to depletion of the soil, the accumulation of larvae of pests and pathogens that destroy the crop.
Dates of planting garlic in autumn
If winter garlic is planted too early, it will sprout and die in winter. If time is missed, the plant will not have time to harden and form a root system, which threatens with loss of yield.
The optimal landing time depends on the climatic characteristics of the region. You can focus on folk signs. Experienced gardeners believe that planting garlic in the fall before winter should be done after the foliage has fallen, and the schools of birds will stretch south. The main rule is to plant winter garlic 20-30 days before the first frost.
Landing times in different regions
- in central Russia, Moscow region - from mid-September to early October
- southern regions - from late October to the last decade of November
- Ural, Siberia - from the end of August to the third decade of September
- Belarus - from the second decade of September to mid-October, and in the southern regions until the end of October.
Planting winter garlic in the fall requires compliance with certain rules when preparing the garden, fertilizing, and subsequent care.
The best varieties of vegetable crops for planting before winter:
Also read this informative article on how best to store garlic for the winter until spring.
When to plant garlic in the fall of the lunar calendar in 2020
They are engaged in planting garlic before winter on the waning moon. Auspicious days in 2020 are:
- September - 3-9, 15, 16, 19 -21, 24, 26, 30
- October - 3-6, 8-11, 13-15, 27.28
- November - from 5th to 9th.
On the other days of the listed months, it is undesirable to plant garlic.
How to prepare a garlic bed for planting in the fall
Before planting a winter crop, it is necessary to fertilize the soil. Fertilizers are applied in the last decade of August - early September. When digging land for each sq. M. square add a mixture from a bucket of humus + 200 g of chalk, + 400 g of wood ash. In order to increase the yield, superphosphate and potassium sulfate are introduced.
Before starting the main stage of work, form beds up to 1 m wide and up to 25 cm high. After digging, the earth should settle. To speed up the shrinkage of the soil, you can spill the bed with water several times.
For the prevention of diseases, it is recommended to prepare a solution of copper sulfate (for 10 liters of water, 1 tablespoon of a disinfectant component), water the beds from a watering can and cover the ground with a film.
Planting technology of winter garlic in autumn
Experienced gardeners recommend scattering urea on the ridges on the eve of planting garlic before winter and pouring plenty of water over the earth.
- On the beds, holes are made with a stick at a distance of 10 cm from each other. The distance between the rows is up to 25 cm.
- Pre-disinfected garlic cloves are laid out in the holes. It is not recommended to press them into the ground, as this interferes with the development of the root system.
- The depth of the holes depends on the planting time. 2-3 weeks before the first cold weather, the cloves are buried 3-5 cm.
- With deep planting, garlic is planted to a depth of 10-15 cm. So it takes root better and tolerates frost more easily.
- Wells with planting material are covered with rotted compost.
- At the final stage, the bed is mulched with a layer of peat, sawdust, fallen leaves.
- In southern regions with a mild climate, the land is not mulched.
Additionally, it is recommended to spill the soil with a disinfectant (Fitosporin solution). In the northern regions, it is additionally advised to cover the beds with spunbond. In the spring, with the onset of warm days, the shelter is removed.
And for clarity, watch a 5-minute video on how to plant garlic in the fall before winter correctly, so that it will please you with an excellent harvest:
Planting dates for garlic in 2020
Planting garlic in the fall in central Russia and the Moscow region is usually started after September 15-20, and ends no later than October 15. The most important thing is that before the onset of cold weather, the garlic has already had time to take root, but it has not sprouted. Then you will definitely be with the harvest for the next season.
As for 2020, the weather forecast for the next month allows you to plant garlic in early October. What we personally will be doing at this time. On our site, we plant this crop every year exclusively in early October. And we always get an excellent harvest. So do not rush very much with planting garlic. At the beginning of October, the weather will still be warm, and then we'll start. According to forecasters, in late September and early October, there will be no night frosts even. So our garlic will have time to take root before the onset of cold weather.
If you have any questions about planting garlic, be sure to write, we will answer everyone.
A rich vegetable crop is the result of painstaking work. It begins with the preparation of the site for planting and ends after harvesting the plant residues of garlic from the beds. But it is no less important to choose the right variety, since most winter crops are prone to quick shooting after the onset of stable heat on the street. This is due to the formation of an inflorescence in which there are air bulbs, in parallel with the development of an underground bulb.
Large-toothed varieties are popular in the Moscow region. They have good keeping quality - they are suitable for long-term storage and drying. Winter hardiness of the shooted representatives of the vegetable crop is at the level of 90-95%, which ensures a good wintering. You can start harvesting already on the 105th day after the first shoots appear.
Shooting winter garlic variety is resistant to bacterial diseases and temperature extremes. The leaves are dark green waxy, up to 40 cm long. The bulbs are flat-round, large, weighing an average of 40–60 g. There are 5–12 chives per bulb, the color of the scales is reddish with purple. Ripening dates are early. Already on the 85th day after germination, you can harvest.
A high-yielding garlic that develops round-flat bulbs of impressive size at the end of the growing season. Marketable weight - 80 g. There are many zubkov. The flesh is firm, with a spicy taste. The teeth are covered with a purple husk with longitudinal light stripes. With timely planting, observing the care measures from an area of 1 m², you can collect about 2 kg of high-quality, healthy bulbs.
The originator declared a yield of 2 kg / m². An onion weighing 75 g consists of only 5-6 cloves. The weight of one slice is 15 g. The integumentary scales are white. During the shooting phase, garlic throws out flower stalks one meter high. Round inflorescences are formed by air bulbs in the amount of 250 pcs. Stores well, suitable for long distance transportation.
Vegetable culture develops well in flat areas (with deep groundwater), which are not melted by melted snow. The beds are prepared immediately after harvesting the predecessor (one month before disembarkation). Orient them from north to south. The soil is dug to the depth of a shovel bayonet, weed roots are removed. After precipitation, the territory is harrowed to seal the moisture. Fertilizers are distributed over the leveled area. Humus, well-rotted manure or compost are suitable. Consumption rate 3 kg / m². Before planting, the ground is loosened well, watered and grooves are made, on the bottom of which ash and sand are poured so that the bottom of the planting material does not rot.
Garlic is planted, as a rule, in a tape manner, leaving a distance between the ribbons of 15-20 cm, and between the cloves - 7-10 cm.The latter are sealed to a depth of 5 to 9 cm.The parameter depends on their size - the larger the clove, the more planted it goes deeper. Such a measure will save it from freezing and will allow the roots to form faster. After the garden bed, mulch using humus or peat. The procedure is carried out, forming an even layer 2-3 cm thick. In a dry autumn, after 7 days of planting, they are moistened. If it rains, then you do not need to do this. Water consumption rate - 10 l / m².
How to care
For a vegetable crop to obtain large heads, care is carried out regularly. Cultivation agrotechnics includes standard measures:
- Soil cultivation - after the snow melts, they begin to look after the plantings by loosening the soil so that a crust does not form while the soil is wet. The soil is loosened to a shallow depth of –3–4 cm. After the beds, they are mulched using wet peat or humus. This step will also serve as additional nutrition at the initial stage. In the future, loosening is carried out three more times during the growing season. As weeds grow, they are removed, maintaining the cleanliness of the plantings.
- Watering - garlic needs moisture especially in May and June, but a month before harvesting, irrigation is stopped completely, which will allow the heads to ripen. Otherwise, they will be poorly stored. Watering volume and frequency are influenced by weather conditions. The hotter and drier, the more moisture the vegetable needs. However, care must be taken that the water does not stagnate.
- Top dressing - due to the lack of micro- and macroelements in the representatives of the flora of the middle lane, grown on podzolic soils, garlic needs fertilization. Under the culture, twice a year (in autumn and spring), they bring in nitroammofosk. Application rate - 20 g / m². After the onset of stable heat, it is also worth adding nitrogen-containing fertilizers, which stimulate the development of the vegetative mass.
- Protection from diseases and pests - the culture has good immunity. However, at the first signs of disease or the presence of pests, the planting should be treated with a pesticide solution of the appropriate action. If less than a month is left before harvesting, then spraying is carried out only with means that are safe for humans - folk, biological products.