Super-Extra grapes (Citrine): features of planting and cultivation
Grapes are an ancient culture. People have been growing it for a long time. Over the centuries of the existence of viticulture, many varieties have been bred, as a result of which the cultivation of this southern plant became possible even in cold regions. One of the modern cold-resistant varieties is Super-Extra.
The history of the Super-Extra grape variety
Another name for the Super-Extra variety is Citrine. It was bred by Evgeny Georgievich Pavlovsky, a famous amateur breeder from the city of Novocherkassk, Rostov region. Citrine's parents are hybrid varieties of white grapes Talisman and black Cardinal. A mixture of pollen from other varieties was also added.
The name Super-Extra was given to grapes because of their high taste, attractive appearance and adaptability to different conditions.
Ripe berries of the Super-Extra variety resemble citrine stone in shade
It is not necessary to have a special education for the selection of grapes. Many modern varieties are bred by amateur winegrowers.
Characteristics of the variety
Super-Extra is a white table grape. It is intended for fresh consumption or for culinary processing, but not for winemaking. The variety has a number of advantages:
- early ripening of berries - 90-105 days;
- frost resistance (withstands up to -25 aboutFROM);
- high productivity;
- good resistance to most diseases, including downy mildew and powdery mildew;
Super-Extra variety resistant to powdery mildew
- good keeping quality and transportability of berries.
Of the minuses, a different size of berries on a bunch is usually noted, which, however, only affects the presentation.
Video: Super-Extra grapes
Description of the plant
Bushes are vigorous, prone to overloading due to the abundance of berries. Shoots are light green and light brown. The leaves are green, have 5 lobes.
Clusters are moderately loose, cylindrical in shape. The brushes weigh from 350 to 1500 g. The size of the berries is from medium to very large.
Super-Extra grape size - medium to very large
The fruits are white, slightly elongated, egg-shaped, with a dense skin. When ripe, they acquire a light amber hue. Their taste is simple and pleasant - 4 out of 5 points on the tasting scale. The average weight of a berry is 7–8 g. The pulp is juicy, but nevertheless, in overripe berries it retains its density, they do not lose their shape.
Features of planting and growing
Light soils with good moisture are best suited for the variety, but it can grow on any... Due to its cold resistance, Super-Extra can be planted even in Siberia. But in regions with short summers, it is preferable to place the bushes on the south side so that they get as much sun as possible.
Young plants are planted in open ground or cuttings are grafted onto stocks of other varieties.
A stock is a plant to which a cutting is grafted; in grapes, it is usually a stump of an old bush.
When planting in the ground, if the soil is heavy and clayey, you need to mix it with sand and humus or compost.
Video: growing grape seedlings
The grapes are propagated by cuttings as follows:
- 2-3 eyes are left on each Super-Extra handle.
- The lower part of the cutting is cut obliquely, the upper part is covered with paraffin.
- The rootstock cut is cleaned, its surface should be smooth.
- A split is made in the center of the stock (not very deep), and a cutting is placed there.
- The place of tying is tightened with a cloth so that the contact between the cutting and the rootstock is tight and they grow together.
The place of contact between the cutting and rootstock is tightened with a cloth or film
It is advisable to cut the cuttings on the day of vaccination. To keep them alive, they are stored in containers with water.
Before grafting, grape cuttings are stored in water.
In general, Citrine is unpretentious to care. The following growing conditions must be observed:
- Water the grapes regularly, at least once every two weeks, spending 12-15 liters of water per bush.
- Despite the resistance to fungal diseases, the bush should be sprayed with copper preparations for prevention.
- Top dressing is made based on the growing region, soil and climate.
- In the spring, the vines are tied to a support.
- For the winter, the plants are covered.
In the spring, the vines are tied to supports
Super Extra requires trimming. It is produced in spring in such a way that 4–8 buds remain on the vine, and about 25 on the whole plant. To enlarge the bunches, it is better to leave 3–5 shoots.
It is also advisable to ration the crop so that there is no overloading of the plant and its depletion. To do this, during flowering, part of the inflorescences is pinched off.
Super-Extra grapes are a good choice for those who value such qualities as frost resistance, high yield and unpretentiousness of the plant. However, this variety may not be suitable for growing for sale; it is also not suitable for winemaking.
Rate the article:
(1 vote, average: 5 out of 5)
Share with your friends!
Lily of the valley grapes: description of the variety with characteristics and reviews, features of planting and cultivation, photos
- Variety history
- Description of grapes Lily of the valley
- Lily of the valley grapes - description of the variety, characteristics of the plant
- Advantages and disadvantages
- Recommended timing
- Landing algorithm
- Top dressing
- Preparing for winter
- Diseases and pests
- Protection from birds and insects