Practicality and reliability of a copper roof
Copper roofing is an eternal and reliable coating, but undeservedly ignored when arranging private houses. In most cases, this roofing material is chosen during the renovation of historic and public buildings. Copper cladding combines aesthetic appeal with practicality, which means it is perfect for the pitched roof of a residential building.
Characterization of copper as a roofing material
The main feature of copper is to improve its performance during use. It's all about the patina film that covers the copper sheets. It is formed as a result of metal oxidation under the influence of oxygen, which is why such a coating will change color every year of operation. In the first few years, the material will sparkle in the sun, "blind" the eyes. Then the roof will take on a characteristic bronze color. And after 10-15 years it will be covered with a patina film, as evidenced by a greenish tint. And this gives the copper extra durability.
Copper roofing, though expensive, is reliable
Copper conducts heat well, this allows you to equip the winter heating of the roof, which means that there will be no need to clean the roof surface from snow and ice, and no icicles are formed, which will make a walk on the street near the house absolutely safe.
Advantages and disadvantages
Copper is considered an elite roofing material due to its many advantages:
- Ease of processing due to high plasticity. It is possible to give the material any shape without a special tool, which is why copper is often chosen for arranging a domed roof. At the same time, during processing, all the strength properties of the metal are preserved.
- Ease of installation. No special tools or fasteners are required. Simple installation is possible due to the low weight of the sheets.
- Environmental Safety. Both the material itself and the patina film are absolutely harmless to human health and the environment, no toxic substances are generated during operation.
- Corrosion resistant. The material oxidizes under the influence of oxygen and forms a patina film, which makes it more durable, in contrast to the corrosion that other types of metal are subject to. But for this you need to keep the roof clean, since the closed access to oxygen blocks the path of the natural oxidation process.
- Fire resistance. The material is resistant to any high temperatures, while the fire of such a roof is excluded.
- Resistant to low temperatures. Copper can withstand low temperatures very well. She is also not afraid of sudden changes.
- Simple renovation. The installation of a copper roof usually consists of laying small fragments, which means that it will not be difficult to replace one of them. In this case, usually the need for repair arises no earlier than after 10-15 years of operation.
The undoubted advantages include a long service life, as well as aesthetic appeal. Thanks to this material, you can significantly modify the appearance of a private house and give it a certain decorative effect and originality.
Roofing copper is very flexible and easy to work with
But do not forget about the weaknesses of the copper roofing:
- high price, which is leveled by a long service life (cost of 1 m2 a copper roof will cost an average of 3,500 rubles);
- increased heat transfer, which is why the roof is very hot in summer (if there is an attic room, then the temperature in it is usually higher than normal), and in winter it cools down very quickly (which also affects the microclimate in the attic rooms);
- the need for lightning protection and an anti-icing system, which increases costs;
- the need to equip reliable sound insulation, otherwise you will constantly hear unwanted sounds.
Types of roofing copper
Various types of roofing copper are used for covering:
- Folded. Suitable for arranging roofs with a large area, while cutting sheets of the required length can be performed directly on site, which significantly reduces transportation costs. Even long canvases can fully repeat the curves of complex shapes due to the high elasticity of the material. Seam roofing is characterized by absolute tightness, which means that it is this type of copper that allows it to be used almost forever.
Folding connection of copper paintings allows you to create the most airtight surface
- Scaly. Fragments of this roof have a characteristic appearance - the finished coating resembles fish scales. Copper with a thickness of 0.6–0.7 mm is suitable for the manufacture of coating elements. Most often, this type of roofing copper is applicable for arranging pitched roofs with a large angle of inclination (more than 60 degrees), complex shapes, as well as in the presence of spherical elements, for example, domes of different sizes or dormer windows.
Scaly roof resembles fish scales
- Copper tape. This type of material allows you to combine pictures of different sizes and shapes on the roof, as well as to make additional elements. The thickness of the copper strip can vary from 0.6 to 3 mm.
- Soft. This copper cladding combines the performance characteristics of both metal and bituminous roofs, which is why it is considered a premium material.
- Spanish dune, or tiled. Outwardly, such a copper roof resembles ceramic tiles. Unlike folded or flake coating, elements of this type are more rigid, which is why they retain their shape regardless of external influences. The Spanish dune is characterized by a wide eaves step, which gives the finished roof a volumetric appearance, as well as hidden horizontal joints. For fastening on the left edge of each tile, oval holes are made, due to which thermal deformation is compensated during operation, which means that the reliability of the fastening will be high.
Copper tile roofing is more reliable than clay tile roofing
- Checkers. For installation, copper fragments are used in the form of a rhombus, trapezoid or square. For the manufacture of checkers, copper with a thickness of less than 0.8 mm is used. The tightness of the coating is ensured with the help of special locks.
Checkered copper roof can be laid in a classic or checkerboard pattern
Copper Roofing Pie Roofing Device
The installation of a copper roof imposes increased requirements on the construction of both the roofing cake and the sheathing itself. Copper roofing should be as follows:
- Copper roofing is laid exclusively on a continuous sheathing. In this case, a special copper substrate should be installed. Also remember that it is recommended to leave ventilation gaps that will ensure the smooth removal of excess moisture from the under-roof space. Additionally, you need to equip the vents on the roof of sheet copper.
Under the copper roof, you need to mount a solid crate
- Be sure to use waterproofing. It is worth abandoning bituminous materials for this purpose, since there is a high risk of bituminous corrosion. It is better to give preference to technical felt, which, in addition to waterproofing properties, perfectly absorbs noise, while letting in steam, which means that condensation will not form.
Technical felt has waterproofing and soundproofing properties
- It is not always necessary to insulate the roof, but only if the arrangement of a living room is planned in the attic. Insulating material can be laid between the rafters or in the space between the battens for a copper roof (in this case, the continuous battens should be mounted on the battens for the insulation).
During the design and calculation of the material, it is imperative to take into account the thermal expansion of this metal, since it is significant (at high air temperatures, this parameter can reach 1.7 mm per meter of copper sheet).
Tools and materials
Most often, folded copper roofing is installed. This will require two types of tools:
- machine for making paintings;
- a tool for fastening the folds (can be mechanical and manual).
A hand tool can be used to connect fragments of a copper roof.
It is recommended to choose a mobile machine for making paintings, since this will allow the material to be produced directly at the construction site, which means that there will be no problems with the transportation of finished sheets. It also allows you to reduce the time for installation work and the number of people that are needed for high-quality laying of the material.
For the installation of another type of roofing copper, you may need:
- a soldering iron - a gas cylinder to which a rubber hose is connected that can withstand high pressure, such a device allows you to quickly heat up the surface of the material for its attachment;
- drill - usually used as a drive for a pipe expander; when working with copper, you can choose an electric or hand tool;
- solder - it contains copper, this allows you to make joints with the same thermal expansion as the base metal, which means that the risk of seam divergence will be minimal.
Copper solder has the same thermal expansion as the base material of the roof
In addition to special tools, you will need to install a copper roof:
- blind copper rivets;
All fasteners for copper roofing must be made of the same material
- self-tapping screws.
All fasteners must be made of copper or copper-plated.
The main rule when calculating is to remember that the area of the roof does not equal the area of the metal required for installation. This is due to the peculiarities of the fastening of copper fragments, as well as the need to arrange overhangs and junctions.
Typically, copper sheet is supplied in rolls. This allows it to be cut in such a way as to minimize the number of transverse seams. The maximum length of the copper pattern is 15 m.
If the roof has a complex shape, for calculation it is divided into simple geometric shapes, the area of each is determined and the results are summed up.
A gable roof is calculated using the formula S = (a + c1) x (b + c2 + c3) / cos (α), where a is the distance from the corner to the place where the mentally drawn perpendicular falls from the ridge to the ceiling, c1 - the size of the overhang at the end of the house, b - the size of the long wall, c2, c3 - the length of the side overhangs, α - the angle of the slope. If the slope of the roof on both sides is the same - the obtained value is multiplied by 2, if the slopes are asymmetric - the calculation is carried out separately for each slope, and the results are summed up.
A four-pitched roof usually consists of two triangles and two trapezoids. The area of the trapezoid is calculated by the formula: S = ((a + b) / 2) xh, where a and b are the length of the slope along the lower overhang and the ridge, h is the height of the slope, determined by the formula: h = с / cos (α), where c is the distance from the edge of the overhang of the slope to the ridge, α is the angle between the overlap and the plane of the roof. The area of the triangular slopes: S = (a x h) / 2, where a is the length of the lower edge of the slope, h is the height.
The area of the roof slopes is calculated using geometric formulas
The consumption of roofing copper is calculated depending on the area of the roof according to the formula: S x k x Kg x Rub. (Per 1 kg) = Rub., Where S is the area of the roof; k - coefficient of material consumption, depending on the complexity of the roof configuration, including the cost of seam seams, eaves, additional elements (minimum value - 1.3); Kg - theoretical weight 1 m2 copper, kg; RUB (per 1 kg) - cost of 1 kg of copper, RUB; Rub. - the cost of the material (copper) required for the design roof (excluding fasteners and drainage systems).
An example of calculating the roof for a house 5x6 m, with a roof height of 3 m and an overhang length of 50 cm is given.
For the calculation, you need to know the following parameters:
- roof area (if the roof has several slopes, then the total area is equal to the sum of the areas of all slopes) - 46.9 m2;
- the length of all skates is 6 m;
- eaves length - 12 m;
- the total length of the gable overhangs is 15.6 m.
It is recommended to purchase metal 15% more of the roof area, since it is necessary to install additional elements (their manufacture can be ordered separately, in which case the allowance for waste and junction points will be only 10%). In this case, you need to purchase 46.9 + (46.9 x 0.15) = 54 m2 roofing copper.
Copper roof structures, features of their installation
The process of installing roofing copper depends on its type.
Copper Tile Roof
Copper tiles are made from sheets with a thickness of 0.6 to 0.8 mm. The manufacturing process consists in cutting out fragments of the desired size and shape from them.
Each piece of copper tile has two types of lock
Copper tiles can be laid in several ways:
Regardless of the method of laying the fragments, the installation itself must be started from the bottom row. For fastening, special locks are used, with which all fragments are equipped. In addition, the seams must be folded. This process involves crimping one part of the other, which will make the seam as tight and reliable as possible.
Copper tiles are sold already with connecting elements
If you need to trim shingles, you can use metal scissors.
Copper block roof
Copper block is a type of metal tile. The fragment is a rectangular plate with a special connecting element, which is represented by a straight lock at the bottom and a reverse lock at the top.
Copper elements are fixed to the crate with clamps
Due to the presence of such a connecting element, the fastening process is quite simple, it looks like this:
- The forward and reverse lock must be connected together. In this case, start the upper fastening of one plate behind the lower one of the neighboring one.
- To fix the fastening, additionally install special rivets.
There are different ways to stack a copper block
Copper block sizes are available in standard sizes. Usually tiles with a side of 22 cm or 27 cm are made.
Copper roofing can be any shape
Video: installation of a roofing board
Fragments of folded copper roofing are made of rolled metal, while 0.8 mm is considered the permissible thickness. A seam is a special seam that looks like a groove connection. As a result, the copper roofing cladding becomes a single sheet. Several types of connections can be used to mount copper paintings:
The double standing seam is considered the most practical
The highest tightness is provided by a double standing seam.
The laying process consists of several stages:
- Preparation of the base. At this stage, the rafter system is set up. Since copper is a lightweight roofing material, there is no need to reinforce the rafter system. Remember that since the service life of a copper roof is very long, then all other elements of the roof, including the rafter legs, must correspond to it. That is why for the truss system for a copper roof, you can choose only strong and high-quality beams, moreover, it is imperative to treat them with antiseptic compounds.Beams must be laid evenly, since roof distortions can lead to a reduction in service life.
There is no need to strengthen the rafter system for a copper roof
- Laying the vapor barrier. The vapor barrier film should sag slightly.
- Warming. For the installation of heat-insulating material, you can mount the crate, in the space between which the insulation can be laid. Each piece of insulation should be slightly larger than the space between the rafters to eliminate any cold bridges.
- Laying waterproofing. The waterproofing material must be installed directly on the rafter legs. It is recommended to use a special diffusion membrane under the copper roof. It must be laid with a stretch so that the sagging is completely absent. The membrane strips are mounted with an overlap; fastening is recommended to be performed with double-sided tape.
- Installation of lathing. For standing seam copper roofing, the sheathing must be continuous. As a material for it, you can choose plywood, edged board or timber. Regardless of the choice, the material must be treated with antiseptic agents. Also, when installing the lathing, it is necessary to take into account the presence of holes for the chimney, ventilation pipe, air ducts and roof windows.
Most often, a plywood sheathing is mounted under a copper roof.
- Laying the substrate. It is imperative to install a lining sealing material on top of the crate. The roll substrate is laid with an overlap, which should be at least 10 cm. A second waterproofing layer must be laid on top of the substrate, on which copper paintings can be mounted.
You can start the installation of copper paintings from the edge or from the middle.
- Laying copper paintings. First, the fragments of the roof must be laid out on the roof, and only then proceed to their connection. The first painting should hang 30mm over the edge of the roof. On one fragment there are two folds: on the one hand, a small fold, 2.5 cm high, on the other - large, 3.5 cm high.The fastening process itself is as follows: a large fold must be bent under a small fold, and then they are bent together again times, while the height of the fold is approximately 3 cm. A special hand frame is usually used for joining. When folding, remember to have a gap for thermal expansion. It should be 3-4 mm. You can fasten copper to a wooden lathing with special clamps, which are plates with a curved clamp. They are installed in the folds between two pictures. 1 m2 the roof will need 4 cleats. Additional clamps are added in the places where the cornice is arranged.
Hand tools can be used to fix copper roof elements
Video: installation of a seam roof
Copper tape is used to make pieces of copper roofing (paintings, checkers or tiles). There are several types of tape:
- classic - it has a shiny reddish-golden surface, while the color after installation of the roof gradually begins to fade;
- oxidized - characterized by the presence of an oxide film, has a brown color;
- patinated - is artificially aged copper (in natural conditions, this process takes from 5 to 20 years) due to the use of special compositions;
- tinned - this material is tinned;
- copper alloys with zinc, tin and aluminum (the color of such materials differs significantly from classical copper).
Copper tape is used to decorate copper roofing elements
Rules of operation, repair work
A long service life is possible only if the maintenance rules are followed. In the case of a copper roof, one basic rule must be followed - keeping the roof clean. This means timely clearing of snow, foliage and other debris. Ignoring will lead to the closure of the copper surface to the access of oxygen, which will delay the patination process.
Due to its plasticity, roofing copper can be used for roofs of complex shapes with a large angle of inclination.
Also, if necessary, you need to carry out repair work on time due to:
- processes of decay of the truss system;
- improper use of a copper roof;
- changes made to the project of the house;
- erroneous installation.
To repair a copper roof, you can choose one of the possible methods:
- complete replacement of material.
The repair itself is carried out in several steps:
- Diagnostics of the condition of the roof. At this stage, it is necessary to carefully examine the entire surface of the roof and assess the degree of damage to the integrity of the material, as well as determine the place of leakage (most often the roof leaks in the areas where fragments are connected).
- Selection of material. For repairs, it is recommended to choose copper in the same color as the main roof.
- Patching. From the prepared material, you need to cut out a fragment of the required size, then either fix it by welding, or solder it to the main roof. After fixing, the junction of the patch with the roof must be sanded.
The easiest way to repair a copper roof is to apply patches.
The need for repair is extremely rare, and the process itself is carried out as soon as possible.
Copper roofing will be an excellent covering for a private home. Despite the high cost, this roofing material significantly outperforms others in terms of performance, in particular, the service life can be more than 300 years.
Choosing a metal roof for the roof of the house: corrugated board, metal, folded, galvanized - photo
Metal roofing is one of the most popular building materials, which are increasingly used both in high-rise construction and for small country cottages. This lightweight material fits perfectly even on the most difficult roof shapes and, if properly selected, guarantees a long service life. How to choose the most suitable from the whole variety of types of metal roofing will be discussed.
Metal gable roof of a wooden country house, Rheinzink Italia
SNiP requirements for the construction of a country house
Preparation for construction begins with a thorough work on the documents, then they think over how to fit everything that will correspond to the intentions there. The information that dictates the norms aimed at ensuring the comfort and safety of residents and their neighbors is set out in the technical standards of SNiP.
If permanent registration is required, the rules are binding. SNT services will also be available only after appropriate verification.
- Sewerage at the dacha is not necessary, a toilet can be installed as usual, but a source of drinking water (pipeline, well) must be present.
- So that lovers of monumental buildings do not create inconveniences for neighbors, the norm prescribes to erect them no closer than 3 meters to the fence between the sites.
- If there is a passage between the dachas, the house should be 3 m away from the "red line", if it is a full-fledged street - by 5 m.
- To minimize the risk of fire, the distances between buildings are regulated. Houses made of stone, reinforced concrete, block structures should be at least 6 m apart, wooden - from 15 m, with wooden floors - from 8 m, if both stone and wood are present - 10 m. Between the well and the restroom, the compost area should be at least 8 m.
- Fire safety standards for a residential building are difficult to comply with, but with only one or two floors, the fire resistance requirements for building materials are much softer.
- If the dacha occupies an area of 6-12 cells, there should not be more than 30% of its area under construction.
- The border between the territories is fenced off with a lattice, a net, their minimum height is 1.5 m.
- The rules for the arrangement of trees are also prescribed. But these nuances are negotiated with neighbors, members of SNT, as well as the erection of deaf fences with a height above the norm.
- The project should provide for the height of living rooms from 2.2 m, utility rooms - from 2 m.
As for engineering structures:
- drains are not discharged to the neighboring area
- a liquefied gas cylinder of 12 liters or more is stored in a metal box located at least 5 m from the entrance, or in an annex built of hardly flammable materials
- only individual wiring passes through the site, an electric meter with a seal is located in the house
- this year, a provision was introduced according to which the house must be equipped with a radio point, it is necessary to notify the population about natural disasters, man-made accidents.
Hard and soft execution
Our online store of copper pipes offers to buy both a hard version of the pipeline and a soft one (sold in coils). They are used in various fields - soft areas can be installed in hard-to-reach places. Soft sections are also called annealed pipes, which means that they have undergone a special heat treatment. It is important to note that during this process the site "loses" some of its strength properties.
Copper pipe prices in Kiev and Ukraine start from 88 UAH per running meter. We supply a hard pipe with rods of 3-4 meters, a soft pipe can be cut from one meter.
To buy a copper tube in Ukraine, the price of which is always relevant on our website, you can be sure you choose the best. After all, everyone knows copper is high quality and durable.
We invite you to visit our store at the address: Ukraine, Kiev, st. Anna Akhmatova 16A.
"And finally, about the most exotic type of roof." "Green" roof.
Our today's conversation will be the last one concerning the topic "Roofing".
But this does not mean that conversations on the topic "Building a country house" will end with this topic. We have a long conversation ahead of us about building materials and how they can be used in individual construction.
Our previous conversation ended with a story about the use of valley carpet as a means of protecting the roof. We learned that a valley carpet can protect not only the valleys, but also the adjoining of the roof to the vertical elements of the roof. One of these elements is the chimney. I must say that there are several ways by which the junction points will not let water into the house. In addition to the already known end carpet for this work, roofers use cement mortar, sealants, and metal fixtures.
In the process of roofing, an unprotected area is left between the roof and the pipe. But in this form, it does not exist for long. The "bare" place is covered with a galvanized steel product. The pipe is "put on" in a steel "jacket" in such a way that the lower part of the "garment" lies on top of the roof, and the upper part fits the pipe. The gap between the pipe and the "clothing" is filled with mortar. This method can be used on roofs covered with tiles, metal roofing, and slate (corrugated and flat). In cases where the roofing material is shingles, roofing fragments can be placed on the bottom of the "jacket" to make the galvanized steel "invisible". But this method will guarantee success only if the solution that fills the gap is really high quality. Otherwise, cracks may form, and water will flow down the pipe walls into the living space. To prevent this from happening, there is another way. We are talking about the same "jacket" for the pipe, with the only difference that its upper part has corners facing the pipe. A strobe is arranged on the pipe, into which these corners are "drowned" (from all sides of the pipe). The strobe with the corners of the "shirt" inserted into it must be coated with a sealant.
When it comes to protecting the joints around the roof windows, roofers don't have to invent anything. Manufacturers of such windows take care in advance to exclude the ingress of water into the joints of the frame and rafters. In the overwhelming majority, the set with roof windows includes protective frames, made taking into account various types of roofing. After the installation of roof windows, the frames take their place, performing not only waterproofing functions, but also aesthetic ones.
What seemed like a curiosity in the twentieth century is becoming the norm in the twenty-first century. To get rid of ice on the roofs today, there is a special heating system. Such a system is a heating cable that is laid along the valleys, and along the cornices, and around the roof windows, and along the drainage system. In addition to the cable, the system is equipped with automatic equipment, with the help of which its operation is regulated, as well as special temperature and humidity sensors.
In conclusion of the conversation on the topic "Roofing", we would like to get acquainted with, perhaps, the most exotic type of roofing. It is about the so-called green roof... Lawns and flowerbeds on the roof are not a figment of a sick imagination, but a reality that is reflected in the construction of individual suburban housing. But if someone thinks that for the construction of such a roof covering it is enough to cover the base of the roof with earth and plant plants, then he is deeply mistaken. Not every roof can support the weight of a "green" roof, and its construction is a complex multi-layer system.
In the event that the lathing is a reliable structure, and the condition of the roof does not cause concern, installation of a "green" roof begins with a waterproofing device. On top of the waterproofing layer, a lower drainage layer is arranged. The next step is the installation of thermal insulation, which protects the plants from the effects of low temperatures. The upper drainage layer is located above the insulating layer, and the upper layer consisting of soil is arranged above it. As we can see, everything is not so simple. The quality of the work performed on the installation of the "green" roof is of great importance, since in case of an error, it will be necessary to dismantle not only the multilayer coating for this roofing material, but also the base of the roof, which is associated with a number of difficulties.
The quality of the materials used is also of great importance. In addition to environmental friendliness, they must be strong enough. Experienced engineers should be involved in the design of a "green" roof, since its weak point is the impact on it of strong gusts of wind. Only a well-designed coating will allow the owner of the house not to worry about this roof and not to ask the question "will the plantings turn into" gone with the wind "?"
In one of our conversations, we looked at different types of roofs. It is possible to arrange a "green" roof practically on any roof shape. Of course, a flat roof makes it possible not only to give the "green roof" an exotic look, but also to make a real garden out of it. Moreover, the rigid roof structure and high-quality waterproofing will allow the homeowner to make the most of the roof area, laying out paths between the plantings, and, if desired, a mini-pond. And here you cannot do without engineering thought. Since this green coating involves watering, a specially designed system will allow for this purpose to use rainwater accumulated in a special container.
It is impossible to make paths and reservoirs on roofs with slopes and drops, but such roofs can be given a unique look with the help of geogrids, which allow rigidly fixing the "green" roof on the base of the roof.And if trees cannot be planted on such roofs, then grass, flowers and even shrubs may well coexist with each other, causing surprise and admiration among casual passers-by and neighbors in the country.
Roof covering - this is, in a way, the face of the house and, by and large, the face of the owner of this dwelling. By what the roofing is, one can judge the homeowner himself. Even the most inexpensive roofing material will not spoil the appearance of the house if its owner approached the issue of choosing roofers with all seriousness. And skill is the main component in the construction of individual suburban housing and, in particular, in the construction of the roof.
Features of the application of flooring options
With the use of various materials, a shed roof can be erected with your own hands. In this case, special drawings and photos are used. When choosing a suitable option, the following features are taken into account:
- the purpose of the construction site, for buildings of permanent residence, baths and household needs, coatings in different price categories can be used
- durability of the material
- roof structure configurations
- budget opportunities. Inexpensive solutions include corrugated board, ondulin and metal tiles.
- complexity of installation work
Regardless of the version of the roofing, high-quality waterproofing and insulation will be required
When choosing a suitable option, it is worth considering all the nuances of the flooring, its pros and cons.
Properties of metal tiles
Sheet material is metal. Its thickness is about 0.6 mm. Such a plate, due to the layered structure, is reliable.
The use of this material requires adherence to the installation rules.
This roof covering has the following advantages:
- copes well with loads
- characterized by a variety of design solutions
- installation can be handled even by non-specialists in the construction business
- a complete imitation of a traditional tile roof is created
- together with the coating, the necessary fasteners are attached
- popular due to its affordable price.
The metal tile has an unusual texture
Shed roof made of corrugated board: installation nuances
From corrugated and metal plates, a shed roof system is made from corrugated board. This is one of the options available. The canvases have the following advantages:
- long service life
- increased strength indicators
- light weight
- unpretentious maintenance and ease of installation work
- variety of color models
- selection of plates of different sizes.
Decking is an excellent option for simple structures.
Such a coating can be used for a garage or utility block buildings. The disadvantages of roofing include the need to perform a dense sound-insulating layer, since the surface is characterized by an increase in noise effects in strong wind, rain or hail. This material is susceptible to corrosion. During installation, the slope angle is selected from 22 to 45 degrees. To create a structure from rafters, boards are used.
Why is slate good?
An important advantage of slate is its long service life. If the installation is done correctly, then such a coating can last over 50 years.
Installation of a slate system requires a certain skill
Slate has the following advantages:
- affordable cost
- resistance to high temperatures and corrosion
- does not conduct electricity.
Among the minuses, it is worth noting the significant weight of the material and the fragility of the sheets.
Steel and aluminum options
With the help of roofing steel, a high-quality shed roof is made by hand. Drawings and photos will help you choose interesting projects. This coating is chosen due to its ease of installation, low weight and use for roofs of various configurations.
The disadvantages include an increased noise level during precipitation and an unpretentious appearance. The aluminum structure is attached to the crate system with special fastening clips.
Steel roofs are used even in the construction of apartment buildings
The nuances of choosing bituminous tiles
Bituminous shingles contain cellulose components and fiberglass. In this case, the canvases are processed with bitumen. Basalt granulate is used on the outside of the coating. This unusual coating has many undeniable advantages:
- insignificant amount of waste remains during installation
- possesses waterproofing and soundproofing properties
- resistant to temperature shocks
- possesses incombustibility
- in the arsenal there are many design solutions and colors
- long service life
- resistance to mechanical damage.
Laying this coating requires a certain qualification.
The disadvantages of such a roof include the high cost and the need to create a continuous sheathing.
Traditional ceramic roof tiles
Ceramic tiles are classic solutions. A similar material is made from cement with the addition of a sand mixture or from fired clay. The tile is characterized by resistance to various climatic conditions, environmental friendliness, good sound insulation, a variety of design solutions and a very long service life.
The roof made of this material has high aesthetic qualities.
The choice of roofing from ondulin
Ondulin is a corrugated plate made of cellulose fibers. From above, the sheet is covered with bitumen.
The material has enough advantages:
- low weight of plates
- excellent performance
- can be used as a second coat
- resistance to negative manifestations of nature
- excellent indicator of water resistance.
Installation of such a roof is carried out using certain fasteners
Such a flooring can be used for the construction of any kind of buildings.
Stages of installation of a galvanized steel roof
Galvanized steel roof
Before covering the roof with iron, it is necessary to make a solid lathing, which will exclude metal deflections. The basis for the iron sheets is wooden beams located 20 cm apart, a solid sheathing of edged boards or a step-by-step sheathing of boards nailed at a distance of 10 cm.
It is possible to connect sheets with galvanized iron by overlapping them, and fixing them with nails with a special gasket, or in a more laborious and reliable way - folding. To complete the work you need:
- wooden mallet
- scissors for metal
- painting workbench
- metal hammer
- comb bender
- mixture of drying oil with red lead.
Before starting work, iron sheets are primed with a mixture of drying oil and red lead to increase corrosion resistance. The dried iron is cut into pieces of the required size; for this, metal scissors are used (a grinder is strictly prohibited). The seam method reliably protects the joints from leakage. It is a connection of adjacent sheets of iron into a lock, made by bending the edge.
Types of recumbent folded joints
For horizontal connection, recumbent folds are made. They are made using special machines or on workbenches using a hammer and mallet. A line is drawn at the edge of the sheet and the edge is folded with a mallet; for this work you will need a workbench with a metal corner. On another sheet, the edge is folded back several times, until a U-shape is created. The junction is sealed and bent close to the metal sheet. In this way, blanks are formed for laying on the roof, they are called pictures.
On the roof, all the paintings are connected using longitudinal standing seams. In their manufacture, a comb bend is used. Before starting the fastening, the location of the sheets in the vertical plane is checked. It is recommended that the length of the workpiece be equal to the size of the roof slope. Pictures are laid in rows from the ridge to the gutter. A steel strip is used to seal the recumbent folds.
In places requiring special strength of the seams, a double rebate is used. It is made by folding the edges of two sheets, followed by simultaneous folding. The reclining seam is installed with a bend to the cornice, this allows water to flow freely over the roof. The paintings are attached to the crate with metal clamps.
Collar for chimney tube
The most difficult stage is the arrangement of the collar for the chimney tube. It is pre-fabricated according to the shape and dimensions of the pipe. The collar is connected to metal sheets with standing seams.
To understand how to properly install the roof using a folded joint, it is worth watching a video with professional recommendations.
Features of roofing with profiled sheet
- When deciding on the size of the corrugated sheet, choose an equal length to the roof slope, if it is large, focus on ease of transportation.
- When counting the number of sheets, take into account the angle of inclination of the roof, if it is within 15 to 30 degrees, an overlap of up to 20 cm will be required.
- Before installing the corrugated board, a waterproofing film is laid. It is fastened with staples to the rafters. On top of it, counter-rails are installed, providing a gap with metal sheets.
- The polymeric coating of the profiled sheets should not be damaged during transportation and installation, this will lead to a loss of the anti-corrosion properties of the material.
Grades of corrugated board differ in strength and wave height. For the device of a reliable roof, two brands are used:
- NS - for roofs with a significant slope angle, not experiencing high loads
- H - used for a permanent roof, it is distinguished by additional stiffening ribs.
The modern summer resident uses the dacha not only for growing and subsequent pickling of cucumbers, although there are many people who like to dig in the ground, grow a new variety of tomatoes or an exotic fruit. Buildings in the form of a rickety barn are not in trend these days, most want to relax comfortably and interestingly outside the city in order to gain strength for the upcoming work week. People come to the summer cottage not to work hard, but to have a good time, play with the children, grill a barbecue, have a glass with friends. Therefore, the dacha is now equipped with universal houses, and the place around, in addition to the beds, is occupied by ponds, lawns, flower beds. Beauty and benefits.