Many gardeners are wondering: what to do to make the seedlings strong? Despite the fact that the cultivation of individual crops has its own specifics, there are general rules, following which, you will get strong, healthy plants. Today we will tell you about these rules.
It is believed that eggplant is a very moody culture. But he has no special whims, at least in the south. But he is too thermophilic, and he eats a lot of fertilizers. And we just have to adapt to his wishes.
At the end of March, you should visit the site, do sanitary pruning, prepare grooves to drain water when the snow melts, spray the garden against pests, sow peppers, eggplants and tall tomatoes on seedlings, if you did not do this at the end of February
Fluorescent lamps are best suited for illuminating seedlings. For a small number of plants, you can build a greenhouse and install short fluorescent lamps inside it. We will tell you how
Until recently, no one would have thought of trying to grow eggplants on our unkind land. But now new varieties and hybrids, new technologies have appeared, and these exotic fruits in our gardens have become a reality.
Novofert is a water-soluble, complex (nitrogen-phosphorus-potassium) fertilizer containing meso- (magnesium, calcium, sulfur) and trace elements (copper, iron, zinc, manganese) in chelated form, as well as boron, molybdenum in mineral form. 8 (910) 313-80-13
In our country, purple eggplants are traditionally prized, but they are not only that. For example, in Spanish cuisine, white eggplants are mostly used, green-fruited ones are very popular in China and Thailand.
The recommended age of pepper seedlings for planting in greenhouses is 60-70 days from germination. It is necessary to plant seedlings at the end of May. If you leave 7-10 days from sowing to germination, then it is clear that you need to sow in the first half of March.
Eggplants are perennials, but we grow them as annuals. They have a long taproot and adventitious roots up to 50 cm. The absence of additional roots relieves hilling after planting in the ground.
In one book on vegetable growing I read: "... the vegetable grower Nikityuk in 1938, near Moscow, sowed Bulgarian eggplant. Germinated with seeds, then dived into humus pots, and put them in greenhouses. On June 11, he planted seedlings in the field ..."
Eggplant belongs to the same botanical family of nightshades as paprika, tomato, physalis, tobacco, nightshade, potatoes. Therefore, in order to prevent diseases, these crops cannot be grown one after the other.
Today, there are many colorful bags of eggplant seeds on the shelves. Someone needs earlier ones, someone more resistant to external influences, and someone will stop at the most productive.
It all starts with growing seedlings. This is not an easy task that requires knowledge, effort and time. But if you follow certain rules, you can get wonderful eggplant seedlings with a well-developed root system.
Our plots are small, and this area should be used to the maximum. But in order for the plants to have time to please us with products several times per season, it is necessary to grow seedlings, reducing the time the culture stays in the garden.
Seeds are sown dry, wet, or germinated, depending on the situation. Each method has its pluses and minuses - for example, sowing with dry seeds is carried out quickly, but the seedlings are in no hurry to appear in the white light.
Seedlings of eggplants will be better if they are grown cut one plant at a time, rather than two, as is recommended for tomatoes and peppers. The composition of the soil for humus pots is the same as for sowing on a school.
Now everyone knows that it is not difficult to grow eggplants in our region, but only in a greenhouse and only by seedlings. After all, eggplant is an even more thermophilic culture than tomato and even pepper.
Eggplants are highly susceptible to all kinds of rot. Moreover, rotting areas can occur both on the trunk (as a result, a single shoot or even the whole plant perishes), and on the leaves or on the root collar.
Eggplant is a rather capricious culture. They are even more warm and light-loving than tomatoes and peppers, and only the presence of special varieties and hybrids makes it possible to fully grow them in our climate.
Alas, we are not always happy with the harvest. It seems that everything was done according to science, but the carrots grew ugly, the beets are clearly not sugar, the cucumbers are tough, tasteless and ugly, the tomatoes are tasteless, the potatoes are getting dark, and the eggplants are bitter ... Why ?!
The seeds of your chosen variety and hybrid are disinfected within 20-30 minutes. in a solution of potassium permanganate, if they have not already been processed. It would be nice to then put them in a cloth bag in a solution of one of the complex fertilizers.
Eggplants react painfully to any negligence. If something is wrong, flowers or an ovary are instantly discarded. They love warm and sunny weather. But they do not like too much heat, they have a growth retardation from this.
Several eggplant bushes are enough for a small family. To do this, you do not need to build a special shelter, it is enough to have a place in a common greenhouse. They need to be planted by their own group, where they create their own microclimate.
Having negative experience, we decided to make a solid foundation and sides of the ridges of concrete for the new greenhouse. Given the thickness of the walls, each bed turned out to be 50 cm wide, and there were also two passes 45 cm wide.
Red eggplants came to China from Africa many centuries ago. They had thorny leaves and almost inedible fruits. Through centuries of selection, this subspecies in the hands of Chinese peasants has become a real exclusive.
Eggplants, peppers and tomatoes are heat-loving plants. In our natural conditions, the fruits of these plants can be obtained only by pre-growing seedlings. I grow it on the windowsill.
White-fruited eggplants have a delicate taste - almost without bitterness. And the harvest is good. Previously, such varieties were considered more decorative than vegetable, because there were so few of them. Now there is a pretty good choice.
How often should you feed the plants? How to avoid nitrate build-up? If the plant lacks something ... How to improve the mood of plants under unfavorable conditions
In the late 90s, out of inexperience, we grew a huge amount of seedlings. In 1997, we raised seedlings: tomatoes - 116, peppers - 76, eggplants - 40 cups, and this year: tomatoes - 45, peppers - 18, eggplants - 14 cups. And the harvest is bigger
How to get rid of IVY in the country once and for all
- Wash and peel the eggplants thoroughly, then cut into long strips up to 8 cm long and 0.5 cm thick.
- Place the eggplants in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Place a colander in a saucepan, cover with a plate and place a press on top, such as a jar of water.
- After 1 hour, gently squeeze the eggplant and transfer to a saucepan. Add vinegar and water. Put on low heat and bring to a boil. As soon as it boils, immediately remove from the stove. Drain and let the eggplant cool.
- Add spices to vegetables: chopped garlic, parsley, mint, oregano, as well as bell peppers, chopped into large strips, and onions in half rings. If you think the eggplant is too dry, add a few tablespoons of olive oil to it. Mix everything thoroughly.
- Arrange the eggplants in pre-sterilized jars and roll up.
Canned Fried Eggplant Recipe
- 2 kg eggplant
- 500 g bell pepper
- 2 kg of tomatoes
- 2 pcs. large bulbs
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 100 ml vegetable oil
- salt to taste
- additionally - vegetable oil for frying
- Wash the eggplants and then cut them into large cubes or slices. You can pre-clean them if you wish.
- Pour a generous amount of oil into the skillet and fry the vegetable until golden brown.
- In another heavy-bottomed saucepan, fold the peppers and onions, cover with oil and fry until tender. Add garlic and tomato paste, stir constantly.
- Add the grated tomatoes and cook for another 5-10 minutes after boiling.
- Add the fried eggplant, mix well and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Sterilize the jars, put the eggplants in there and roll them under the lids.
Pickled eggplant with vegetables
- 1 kg eggplant
- 1 kg of any mushrooms (you can oyster mushrooms or champignons)
- 1 kg zucchini
- 0.5 kg of onions
- 1 kg bell pepper of different colors
- 1 liter vinegar
- 1 liter of water
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 chili pepper
If desired, you can use the following spices: sprigs of fresh thyme, rosemary, sage, mint, bay leaf, dried oregano.
- Wash all vegetables thoroughly, peel and remove seeds if necessary. Cut them as you like (cubes, straws, circles, half rings, or leave whole).
- Put all vegetables in a deep saucepan and cover with hot marinade, that is, boiled water and vinegar.
- Season to taste and season with salt. Mix thoroughly.
- Place the pot on the fire and simmer for about 5-10 minutes.
- Arrange the vegetables in hot, sterilized jars and roll them under the lids.
Now it's time to think about dessert! 5 ways to turn PLUMS into a winter treat!
Eggplant seedlings: growing at home
Hello, friends. Eggplant seedlings and growing at home are on the agenda today. The matter is important, necessary and pleasant.
Today we will touch on such topics as the time of planting seedlings, popular methods of planting seeds, as well as caring for seedlings before they are planted in the ground. We will also recommend eggplant varieties.
From seed to seedling ready for planting, we will go along this path with you in order to get beautiful, healthy plants at the exit and so that we will be pleased with the harvest in the coming season.
Eggplant is a rather demanding plant and is often subject to various diseases. If you notice white bloom on the leaves of the eggplant, then your plants are already affected and you need to take immediate action. Why…
Today, many grow eggplants on their site, especially in the southern regions of our country, and almost each of them had to face difficulties in the process of leaving. Eggplant is far away ...
If you have already come to the decision to grow eggplant seedlings on your own, then you should take into account the following important points in this matter. Before dwelling on this or that ...
A close relative of potatoes and tomatoes, eggplant appeared in Russia in the 17th-18th centuries, firmly gaining the title of "popular vegetable". Eggplant is widely used in cooking in many countries of the world. Eggplant is bred in ...
Stuffed eggplant. A reliable recipe!
Eggplant - 10 pcs.
Pepper - 3 pcs.
Carrots - 2 pcs.
Garlic - 3 heads
Parsley - 1 bunch
For the marinade:
Salt - 2.5 tbsp.
Sugar - 2.5 tablespoons
Vinegar 9% - 3 tablespoons
Vegetable oil - 5 tablespoons
Allspice peas - 10 pcs.
Bay leaf - 3 pcs.
Grate carrots. Cut the pepper into thin strips. Pass the garlic through a press. Chop the parsley. Mix all prepared ingredients thoroughly and leave for 1.5 hours. Boil the eggplants in salted water for 5-10 minutes until soft, squeeze thoroughly under a press, cut in half lengthwise, fill each eggplant with a filling and put the finished eggplants in jars tightly. Prepare a hot marinade. Pour eggplant with marinade, roll up, turn over, wrap, leave to cool completely. The eggplants will be ready in 1 month.
Common Problems When Growing Eggplant
Any non-standard reaction of a plant signals either a lack of nutrients, or that it does not like the growing conditions, weather whims or individual agrotechnical procedures. Let's consider the main problems.
Flowers fall off, no ovaries form
- excessive nitrogen fertilization after planting seedlings (before the appearance of the first fruit),
- watering with cold water,
- excessive humidity in the greenhouse above 80%,
- a sharp change in temperatures day and night (greenhouses should be heated at night),
- prolonged cold snap or prolonged rains (in this case, you need to give foliar feeding with calcium nitrate - 0.5 tablespoons per 10 liters of water),
- drying out of the soil (you need to water),
- weak plants (spray "Epin-Extra" or "Novosil" in the evening, "Healthy Garden" - immediately after planting the seedlings).
When the soil dries out, the eggplant drops flowers - you need to water
Signs of starvation
Primarily pay attention to the leaves... Their external changes can signal the following problems.
- Eggplant leaves are directed at an acute angle to the stem upwards - lack of phosphorus.
- The leaf plates are twisted upwards in a boat, then a brown border appears at the edges - this is how potash starvation manifests itself.
- Leaves brighten - nitrogen starvation.
- Marble green leaves - magnesium starvation.
- Mosaic yellow-green leaves - either a lack of trace elements, or a viral disease of tobacco mosaic. In this situation, you first need to feed the leaves with a solution of trace elements (for example, "Uniflor Micro" - 2 teaspoons per 10 liters of water), and if the situation does not change after a week, then the plant should be removed and burned.
Eggplant potassium starvation
Eggplants may require a little more attention from the grower than, for example, tomatoes and peppers, but it's worth it! After all, your own vegetables are always much tastier than purchased ones. From the book of Galina Kizima "Garden. Secrets of Easy Harvests ", which you can purchase from the publisher's official online store, you will also find out:
- how to simplify the care of the main garden crops,
- why you need to plant carrots with onions and what other neighborhoods in the beds will be successful,
- how to grow grapes in the middle lane and to the north,
- what plants are suitable for a "reasonably lazy" flower garden,
- and much more.
On our site you have the opportunity to get acquainted with other chapters from the books of this famous author. Read the following publications:
- How to grow pepper - Galina Kizima's advice
- In what container to sow peppers for seedlings and why peat pots cannot be used
- Seedlings of tomatoes in diapers according to the method of Galina Kizima
- An easy way to grow tomatoes without extra effort and cost
- Crispy stalks and juicy roots: learning to grow celery in the country
- How to grow leeks from seedlings: secrets from Galina Kizima
- Winter and spring: we grow garlic, as Galina Kizima advises
- Planting potatoes in a new way - advice from G. Kizima