10 best sweet corn varieties to grow
The maize is the queen of the fields, its yellow cobs with grains resembling little suns remind of summer, the seaside, where from morning till night street vendors offer sweet boiled corn of various varieties with honey baklava.
It is also grown in garden plots and not only in order to feast on in the summer, but also for freezing, conservation for the winter.
The best varieties and types of corn for growing from seeds
Corn takes third place after grain and rice in the ranking of food and agricultural products. It is rightfully considered a grain crop. After all, she feeds not only people, but also animals. Breeders are developing new types of seeds, paying particular attention to the sugar content of the ears and increased yields.
Let's take a look at the top 10 corn varieties.
Bonduelle corn varieties does not exist... This is the name of a company that produces various canned and frozen vegetables.
Sweet corn of the Bonduelle trademark is especially popular on the Russian market. The main trading facilities of the Bonduelle-Kuban company in Russia are located in the Krasnodar Territory.
Sweet corn varieties are grown in the southern steppe expanses Spirit and Bonusused to make the so beloved canned food.
Dobrynya is a vegetable early ripening period, the first harvest is ready for harvest after 2-2.5 months after seed germination. A medium-sized plant reaches a height of up to 1.7 m, cobs begin to form at a height of 0.7 m.
Dobrynya refers to very sweet sugar varieties of corn. The cobs reach the size of 25 * 5.5 (diameter and width) and consist of 16-18 rows of grains.
Harvesting for fresh consumption, conservation and freezing is carried out in the phase of milk ripeness. For the processing of grain into cereals, flour, starch, heads of cabbage are harvested after yellowing and drying of the ears.
Unpretentious to growing conditions, quite resistant to diseases such as mosaic, wilting, rust.
Gourmet grade early the ripening period, from the moment the seeds emerge to the first production, only 75-80 days... Plant height from 1.45 m to 1.8 m.
Fruits grow up to 22 cm long, the number of rows on the cob is 18-20. The weight of sweet juicy fruits reaches 170-250 gr... The grains are bright yellow and elongated.
It is appreciated for its excellent taste, which is preserved after processing into canned food and freezing. Gourmet is high-yielding a variety of corn that is well resistant to downy mildew.
This type of corn is a plant early ripening period - 90 days... Low vigor hybrid is well resistant to fungal diseases.
The cobs are small, reaching a length of 19 cm, juicy with a pleasant melting consistency of boiled grains. It is used for conservation and freezing.
Hybrid middle ripening period, the period from the moment of emergence to the receipt of marketable products is 90-100 days... The plant is up to 2.1 m high, the size of the cobs reaches a length of 22 cm. The grains are large, golden yellow, very sweet and delicate in taste.
Stably high yielding and productive Spirit is resistant to fungal, viral diseases and rot. The hybrid is used boiled and can be preserved.
To extend the period for receiving marketable products, planting seedlings of early varieties can be done with an offset of 10-15 days.
Ice hectare belongs to varieties late fruiting period (130-140 days). The plant is up to 1.8 m high and 20-25 cm long on cobs. The grains are creamy white, juicy and very sugary.
The ice hectare is one of the sweetest of all varieties and hybrids. It can even be consumed raw. The hybrid is leader in yield.
In order to avoid loss of sugar content of the grains, the hybrid must be planted separately from other varieties, excluding cross-pollination of plants.
Sundance is a variety with early ripening period (70-90 days). A stunted dwarf plant reaches a height of no more than 1.5 m. The diameter of the ears is 5.5 cm. The length is no more than 20 cm. Bright yellow, slightly elongated grains of medium size and good taste.
The hybrid is used for fresh consumption (cooking) and conservation.
Pioneer corn is a variety middle ripening period. The period for receiving the first product is 100-110 days... The plant is resistant to unfavorable growing conditions that do not affect its yield.
This type of corn is used for agricultural purposes and is used for livestock feed: grain and silage.
Syngenta hybrid middle ripening period (up to 110 days). The Dutch hybrid is highly productive and productive. Disease resistance is high.
The height of corn reaches 1.8 m. The cobs, up to 20 cm in size, are stuffed with pale yellow grains in 16-18 rows. Milky cobs are juicy and tender. Recommended for fresh consumption.
To obtain products at an earlier date, it is recommended to grow under agrofibre.
Jubilee is a high yielding hybrid middle ripening period (80-100 days). A tall plant can reach a height of 2.5-2.8 m, cobs up to 23 cm long densely packed with pearl-yellow grains. The grains have a thin skin and a delicate sweet taste.
High yielding, a disease-resistant, versatile variety. Suitable for both cooking and preservation, it behaves well after defrosting.
- Grow corn only in well-lit, sunny areas... For good yields with high quality ears, the soil must be fertile, well fertilized and slightly acidic.
- Sowing seeds is carried out at soil temperature not less than +10 degrees... The depth of planting seeds in the soil is 6-8 cm. To obtain earlier production, the plant is grown through seedlings, while the seeds are sown in March or April.
- After the appearance of 3-4 leaves of the plant thin out, leaving between plants up to 0.5-0.7 m.
- It is imperative to hilling plants to avoid lodging.
- Harvesting is carried out when the cobs reach milky or milky-wax ripeness.
Do not deny yourself the pleasure of growing these "sunbeams" on your site.
Besides the fact that you will enjoy eating corn, it is also natural supports for climbing plants: cucumbers, climbing beans.
There are different types of corn, and it is impossible to single out any one, the best. There is a large classification of grain crops. It is necessary to select a suitable variety according to geographic characteristics and weather conditions.
An important role in the choice of a variety is played by the purpose of the harvested crop. For example, only bursting vegetables are suitable for making popcorn. Certain types are suitable for canning, cooking or freezing.
For home cultivation in Russia, the following are considered the best varieties of corn:
- The sweet variety Lakomka 121 is distinguished by the early ripening of the crop. From the moment of germination to ripeness, 65 days pass. The yield is high, the grains are yellow, the length of the plant is 18 cm.
- Dobrynya is distinguished by large ears with a sweetish taste. Plant height 160 cm, yellow grains. Harvesting begins after 70 days.
- Spirit belongs to the early sweet cultures. Harvesting begins two months after planting. The plant is unpretentious, reaches a height of two meters, the grains are large, rich yellow.
- Variety Early Zolotaya refers to plants of the early ripening period (90 days pass). The vegetable shows resistance to fungal diseases, forms a high yield. The ears are small with yellow, soft grains.
- Ice nectar is a late-ripening variety. Differs in high sweetness and abundant yield. The ears are large, the grains are yellow, soft and juicy.
Other yielding varieties and hybrids of cereal crops include: Sundance, Pioneer, Syngenta, Jubili.
Early varieties of corn
Early maize varieties are characterized by a short growing season - the first crop can be harvested early. Such plants form cobs in a short period of time, 77-84 days after sowing. Early maturing seeds are recommended to be sown in regions with short summers. In Ukraine, they are grown in areas with limited thermal resources - Polesie, northern and central Forest-steppe.
Early maturing hybrids are characterized by low FAO. So, the lower the value, the faster the plant gives up moisture, which is especially important when grown for grain. Very early ripening varieties of maize (vegetation 80-90 days) have hybrids FAO 100-149, and the sum of effective temperatures is 850-900 ° C. This indicator for early ripening (90-100 days) is in the range from 150 to 199 (effective temperature - 900-1000 ° C). FAO medium early hybrids (100-115 days) range from 200 to 299 when the effective temperature reaches 1100 ° C.
Features of sweet corn
- The best precursors for sweet corn will be potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, squash, onions, vegetable legumes, and root vegetables. You can not grow sweet corn after cabbage.
- The more tender stem and leaves of sweet corn are more likely to be affected by diseases and pests. Avoid planting too densely to ensure aeration of the plants.
- If you plant sweet corn in your summer cottage close to a grain corn field, over-pollination cannot be avoided, and your crop will significantly lose in nutritional value.
- From breaking off the ears to eating fresh or cooked or laying for storage (canning, freezing), a minimum of time should pass: otherwise sucrose turns into starch, and the taste is lost.
- You can store sweet corn cobs fresh in the refrigerator - at a temperature of 0 ° C and an air humidity of 98%.
- It is better to cook sweet corn in an enamel pan or stainless steel, but not in an aluminum one.
Corn "Bonduelle": calorie content, benefits and harms, the main types
Sweet corn is familiar to everyone from childhood. Golden grains have a unique taste, and there is not a single plant that can at least partially repeat the taste of the corn on the cob. Today, this crop occupies one of the leading places among agricultural crops due to its simplicity in cultivation and its various uses.
- Sweet corn "Bonduelle"
- Main types
- Colored varieties
This amazing plant feeds not only people, but also animals. Breeders in many countries are working on the development of new, improved varieties of this crop.
The Bonduelle corn variety doesn't really exist. This is a marketing ploy of the trademark of the same name, which united under one name the processing (conservation) of sweet hybrid varieties of large-grain corn, such as Spirit and Bonus, characterized by the following features:
- an annual plant growing up to 3 m in height
- loves light and warmth. Tolerates minor drought
- reacts negatively to shading, especially in the first half of the growing season
- from emergence to harvest, an average of 120 days pass
- grows well in fertile soils
- the plant forms from one to two ears, growing up to 22 cm and having golden-yellow large grains with a delicate texture and sweet taste.
Did you know? Maize was cultivated as early as 4250 BC. e. This is evidenced by the finds of caryopses found in Mexico. The length of the cob was no more than 5 cm, and today it averages 20 cm.
Sweet corn is very popular due to its chemical composition. 100 g of fruit contains:
- nicotinic acid (PP) - 2.1 mg - is needed for redox processes in the body, lowers cholesterol and participates in blood renewal
- choline (B4) - 71 mg - participates in the construction of body cells, improves liver and heart function
- beta-carotene - 0.32 mg - excellent antioxidant, fights free radicals
- thiamine (B1) - 0.38 mg - is necessary for the digestive processes in the body
- folic acid (B9) - 26 mcg - participates in the production of red blood cells
Find out which varieties of corn are the best for making popcorn.
- tocopherol (E) - 1.3 mg - helps to remove toxins and exhibits antioxidant properties
- potassium - 340 mg - is necessary for the human skeletal system
- phosphorus - 301 mg - participates in the strengthening and maintenance of bones and teeth
- sulfur - 114 mg - "mineral of beauty" for maintaining the normal condition of hair, nails and skin
- magnesium - 104 mg - maintains body temperature and is present in basic life processes
- chlorine - 54 mg - normalizes food digestion, maintains flexibility of joints, is necessary for the liver and heart
- calcium - 34 mg - participates in the construction of bone tissue, regulates blood pressure, heart contractions, lowers cholesterol
- sodium - 27 mg - is needed to maintain the water-salt balance in the body.
The calorie content of a sweet vegetable is 90 kcal per 100 g of grains.
Important! On average, 200 g of edible seeds are obtained from one head of cabbage. Eating 2 heads of cabbage a day gives you the majority of your daily calorie intake, which should be taken into account by overweight people.
Nutritional value of 100 g of seeds:
- proteins - 10.3 g
- fat - 4.9 g
- carbohydrates - 60 g
- water - 14 g
- starch - 58.2 g
- dietary fiber - 9.6 g
It also contains acids, ash and disaccharides. When stored for a long time, vitamins are not destroyed, therefore, during the winter cold, you can use not only a tasty, but also a healthy product. Boiled, canned corn is useful for:
- Patients with atherosclerosis - 400 g of grains will protect blood vessels from the formation of blood clots, normalize cholesterol metabolism.
- In case of chronic fatigue or exhaustion - 200 g of corn in a salad will help restore strength.
- The carotenoids in the product help for eye diseases - 3 times a week you need to eat a handful of grains.
- Dietary fiber is good clean the intestinal walls from toxins, therefore, the cereal is recommended for people with gastrointestinal problems.
Tibetan lofant, white cheese, dried bananas, homemade fern, lagenaria, spinach, broccoli, amaranth, horseradish, Chinese cabbage, nectarines, plums and tomatoes will help remove toxins and toxins from the body.
- Selenium in the product helps quickly remove alcohol from the body and fight the liver with excess fatty foods - 1 spoon of canned corn before the meal will help to avoid problems.
- Indispensable for vegetarians - vegetable protein of grains in terms of value is on a par with animal proteins.
Along with the benefits, corn has some contraindications:
- With gastritis and stomach ulcers, you need to eat grains in minimal quantities.
- With increased blood clotting, you need to be careful with this product, since the vitamin K contained in it speeds up this process.
- Not recommended for people who are underweight or on a diet.
- For food allergies.
Important! Extract from corn kernels is useful for the prevention of malignant tumors, and its reception slows down their growth.
Corn, as a species, in the botanical classification is divided into 9 groups, this division depends on the structure and shape of the grain. Let's consider some of the types:
- Sugar - the largest group, growing widely around the world.This group includes early ripening varieties such as "Trophy F1", "Sugar F1" and others. Fruiting occurs 12 weeks after germination. Plants reach two meters in height and have cobs weighing up to 220 g with bright yellow grains pleasant to the taste. Mid-early varieties "Sweetstar F Hybrid" and "Pearl" with a ripening period of 3 months tolerate short-term droughts that do not affect the quality of the grains. They grow up to 2.5 m, with cobs stretching up to 23 cm in length, 6 cm in diameter and weighing up to 200 g, with excellent taste characteristics. The color of the grains ranges from lemon to deep yellow. Late-ripening varieties "Polaris" and "Bashkirovets" with ripening periods of up to 110 days show themselves well under unfavorable growing conditions. They reach 3 m in height, and golden cobs grow up to 24 cm and can weigh 350 g. All varieties of sweet corn are widely used in the food industry, since when it reaches ripeness, it accumulates a large amount of soluble sugars with a small percentage of starch.
- Bursting - it includes the varieties "Oerlikon", "Vulkan", which are bred for making popcorn and differ in the structure of the grain. When heated, the water droplet inside the grain turns into steam, which leads to its rupture. Plants reach two meters in height, they grow on cobs up to 22 cm long and weighing 250 g. Grain comes in two forms - rice (round top) and pearl barley (the upper part has a beak). The valuable quality of this group of corn is the protein content of more than 16%, therefore, in addition to popcorn, cereals and flour are prepared from it.
- Starchy - widespread in America. The Mays Concho and Thompson Prolific varieties produce high yields. Plants reach 3 m in height, bushy, with a lot of foliage. The ears can grow up to 45 cm, the grains are large, with a well-convex glossy top, yellow or white. Corn of this group is used for the production of high quality cereals and flour, as well as alcohol, starch, since the seed contains 80% starch and only 10% protein.
- Siliceous - early variety "Cherokee Blue" with a high yield, grows up to 2 m in height and has ears up to 18 cm long. The ripening period is 2.5 months. The caryopsis is colored lilac-chocolate, medium-sized. In boiled form it is in no way inferior to sweet corn. Mays Ornamental Congo has a late ripening period, with a growing season of 130 days. It grows up to a height of 2.5 m, the number of ears per plant reaches 4 pieces. Round grain contains up to 83% starch and 18% protein. According to these indicators, it is widely used for the production of grain and flour, corn sticks and flakes are made from it, and also used for animal feed.
- Tooth-shaped - a distinctive feature of this group is that the coarse grain has an elongated shape and during maturity a depression is formed at the top. The caryopsis resembles the shape of a tooth, which is why the species has this name. The plant has one stem and many large ears. It is represented by the varieties "Rodnik 179 SV" and "Moldavskiy 215 MV" with cobs of medium length up to 25 cm and weighing 130 g. A yellow grain with a starch content of 70% and a protein content of 16%. It is grown for grain and silage.
Did you know? Research at the University of Nagoya, Japan, has shown that purple maize contains a pigment that prevents colon cancer, a deadly cancer, from developing.
In the world history of corn cultivation, there are also its colored varieties:
- purple "Maiz morado" - exotic corn. Long known in the southwestern regions of America, where it was a staple of the Indians. The main advantage of this species is the large amount of anthocyanins, the effect of which is anti-inflammatory, regenerative and antioxidant actions. They have an excellent effect on free radicals, protecting blood vessels from their destructive action. The antioxidant capacity of this type of corn is much higher than that of blueberry (an effective fighter against free radicals). Because of this quality, blue corn can be called a superfood. In the West, muffins and pancakes are made from such corn with blue flour, and in Peru they make the purple drink chicha morada.
- "Glass Gem" - translucent ears of various tones. The cereal was developed in Oklahoma by the farmer Carl Barnes and is one of the varieties of flint corn. You can make flour, popcorn from it. In the form of pure grains, it is not suitable for food. It is very popular in the decorative arts because of the unique color of the grains. Seeds of this variety can be ordered from the Seeds Trust website. They are in demand so much that the company does not have time to produce them.
From a large number of varieties of sweet corn, you can choose the one you like the most and plant on your site, since this crop is not demanding to care for, the main thing is: do not forget to water. And at the end of summer or autumn, you will get a harvest of sweet grains, which can not only be frozen, preserving all the nutrients, but can also be preserved, knowing the recipe for harvesting.
Was this helpful?
Description and features of growing corn varieties Krasnodarskaya
Those who grow corn on their site know that this crop has many varieties. Among them, Krasnodarskaya corn has proven itself well. To get a good harvest, it is recommended that you familiarize yourself with the description of the variety's hybrids, the nuances of growing, harvesting and storing the crop.
Description of the variety
Breeders refer to the corn of the Krasnodar variety as mid-season hybrids. The stem reaches 180 cm in height. The total growing season is 90 to 100 days. The plant consists of ears 17–20 cm long. Ripe grain of yellow shade, flattened shape.
Chemical composition and calorie content
Sweet corn cobs contain 101 kcal per 100 g. By its biochemical properties, it is a valuable and useful product.
Corn kernels contain:
- fats - about 6%
- proteins - from 8 to 12%
- starch - 60-68%.
This culture contains a huge range of vitamins: C, B group, PP. It contains minerals such as potassium, iron, copper, calcium, magnesium, as well as mono- and disaccharides.
When choosing a specific hybrid of corn, it must be remembered that each variety is suitable for a specific climatic zone and growing technology. Compliance with all conditions of agricultural technology will allow you to achieve maximum plant productivity.
Agronomists refer to this variety as a mid-early ripening type of hybrids. The growing season is 106 to 110 days. The plant has a high adaptation to local growing conditions and good productivity. It tolerates drought well and is resistant to many diseases.
This variety is a good predecessor for winter cereal crops, since it has a low harvesting moisture. 125 centners of grain can be harvested from 1 ha. An ear of vegetable is like a cylinder and consists of 14 rows. The mass of 1000 grains leaves from 280 to 300 g. The plant reaches a height of 180-200 cm.
A modified variety related to mid-season hybrids. The growing time is about 114 days. The plant reaches a height of 260–270 cm. Grains in heads of cabbage, tooth-shaped, yellow. The total weight of 1000 grains varies from 370 to 372 g. The ear of the plant has a weakly expressed conical shape. The features of this variety include its resistance to drought, as well as the fact that it lends itself well to mechanical harvesting.
The variety belongs to double interline mid-season hybrids. It tolerates dry weather well and is resistant to many diseases. The growing season is 114-116 days. The plant reaches a height of 250–260 cm.
Young heads of cabbage are laid at a height of 95 to 100 cm. The grains are tooth-shaped and yellowish in color. The total weight of 1000 grains leaves from 300 to 310 g. The variety can be used in the production of both grain and silage.
Benefits of Krasnodar corn
This variety has an optimal content of sugars (4.5%), proteins (5.5%) and dry matter (up to 38%). The plant is resistant to many types of stem rot. Heads of cabbage are generally large and highly transportable. They can be stored without losing their properties for a long period.
Growing sweet corn will not bring much trouble if the required sowing dates, proper care of the crop, and timely harvesting are met. Let's describe all these processes in more detail.
It is necessary to prepare for sowing in the autumn. Close attention should be paid to weeding and loosening the soil. Corn seeds should be applied according to the 60 × 30 cm scheme, in well-heated soil, in the last days of April or in the first decade of May. In the prepared hole, place 3-4 grains at a depth of 3-6 cm. When sprouts appear, 1-2 of the strongest are left, the rest are removed.
Care of the cobs
The culture is undemanding to moisture. But it must be remembered that during the period of active growth it must be irrigated. This procedure should be carried out after hilling plantings.
Abundant watering should be done before the panicle is formed. This guarantees the formation of juicy and tasty fruits. During this period, which falls on August, it is necessary to stop watering.
How to tell if the corn is ripe
The ripening of a plant is influenced by the following factors:
- growing season of the cultivated variety
- planting time
- climatic and weather conditions for growing.
If you plan to use corn for making popcorn or for seeds, then you need to harvest the crop during the biological maturity of the fruit. Dairy fruits are best used in cooking.
Ripe ears can be easily separated from the plant, as mature heads of cabbage deflect from the stem under the influence of their weight.
Harvesting and storage
The main indicator of corn readiness for harvesting is brown stigmas on the cob. It is better to harvest in the morning or evening hours.
The most optimal ways of storing young ears are canning and freezing, which will not lead to the loss of nutrients, but will make it possible to use the product throughout the winter. The degree of maturity of the ears directly affects how long they are boiled during canning. Milk corn will be ready in 20-30 minutes, and ripe corn - not earlier than in 30-40 minutes.
Growing corn on his plot, every gardener would like to get a good harvest. To do this, it is necessary to adhere to certain rules for its cultivation, as well as observe the terms of planting and collecting the cobs.
Growing sweet corn, description of varieties, and rules of care
Sweet corn is one of the most ancient cereals, annual crops, cultivated by humans for food and fodder purposes.
The popularity and demand for sweet corn is "off scale", it is used for table purposes as a main dish, added to salads, and canned.
With a sweet taste, boiled sweet corn cobs are loved by both adults and children. In addition to its pleasant taste and high satiety, the product contains a number of vitamins and minerals, as well as a huge supply of fiber. Sugar corn is a healthy and highly nutritious product that any novice gardener can grow.
Sugar corn - description of the culture
The culture is of an average level of complexity, it cannot be said that corn is an unpretentious plant, in order to get a high yield and a "rammed" ear, you will have to try.
For development, the plant needs sunlight, sweet corn blooms with a short day, about a week earlier.
Frequent sowing of corn kernels will lead to lower yields in the future.
As for the root system, it is developed quite well and powerfully, it lies at a depth of a meter and deeper. The stem for a more dense strengthening in the soil, often produces additional roots, which contribute not only to stability, but also to better absorption of nutrients and moisture.
The erect stem of the plant grows up to 3.5 meters, has long, wide, pointed to the top leaves with parallel veins. Distinguish between male and female specimens by the location of the inflorescences, in female corn, they are located in the leaf axil, and the male ones have the appearance of a panicle.
The cob weight averages about 350-450 grams. At the initial stage of maturity, it has a milky hue, and tender pulp, when fully ripe, the grains turn yellow and coarse.
Corn seeds begin to germinate at a temperature of +11 ° C., And the first shoots will appear when the ground warms up enough. Early sowing performed poorly in terms of germination.
Seedlings appear rare and sick. The most favorable temperature for the growth and development of the ear is + 23-28 ° C.
The ripening of the sweet corn cob depends on the plant variety and growing conditions, usually the end of August, the beginning of September.
Sweet corn varieties
The most popular varieties of sweet corn preferred by summer residents and industrialists are:
Sugar corn variety Spirit
One of the new generation hybrids, grown in all regions of the country, gives impressive yields of large ears, with bright yellow, delicate grains. The plant is tall, early ripening cobs, weighing from 350 gr.
, in length from 22 cm. The variety is used for table purposes, belongs to the dessert types.
The boiled cob tastes sweet, juicy, contains a high percentage of sugar, and is not recommended for people with diabetes.
Sweet corn variety Delicacy
The variety was bred at the Sinilnikovskaya breeding station, belongs to the early maturing varieties, ripens in an average of 2.5 months.
A medium-sized stem reaches a height of one and a half to two meters, gives ears weighing about 300 grams, cone-shaped about 17 cm. 100 grams. grains of sweet corn varieties Delicatessen contain 3 grams of fiber, 4.5% sugar, 5.6% protein. 2000 grains have a mass of 600 gr.
The taste of the delicacy variety fully justifies its name, the grains are sweet and juicy, it is widely used for table purposes, canned, pickled, boiled, frozen.
Variety Early gold 401
The variety is of medium ripening period, fully ripens in three months. Possesses high resistance to decay.
It tolerates short-term drought satisfactorily. The mass of one ear reaches 200 grams. Taste characteristics are good.
Sweet corn Gourmet 121
A stable, light-loving gourmet variety. Early ripeness implies the ripening of the cob already 65 days after planting, which is quite suitable for consumption. The plant is not tall, up to one and a half meters in height. The length of a mature ear is about 18 cm.
Often the variety is used in canning and consumed in its original boiled form.
The plant is not tall, the cobs are large, about 19 cm long. Ripening is early, the harvest of milk cobs can be obtained 70 days after planting. The variety is suitable for conservation, it is used for table purposes.
Hybrid variety of sweet corn, early maturing, dessert.
Reaches ripeness 65-75 days after sowing. Gives good yields of large ears. The boiled ear tastes sweet and tender. Dobrynya grows up to 180 cm in height, is unpretentious and resistant to fungal diseases. Great for canning.
High-yielding, mid-season sweet corn variety. The plant is long, about 2 m. The ears are formed on a short stalk, cone-shaped and large yellow grains. Wears a dining destination. Greens are used for forage purposes.
Taste characteristics are high, the variety is resistant to temperature extremes. It is used for dessert purposes and is considered one of the sweetest varieties. The cobs are large and long, reaching a length of 23 cm.
Sweet variety Trophy
Hybrid sweet corn with excellent taste.
The dessert purpose of the hybrid is due to the sweet taste and delicate pulp of the fruit. The cobs are 20-23 cm long, with medium-sized grains. Gives high, early yields, subject to agricultural technology. It is used boiled and canned.
A hybrid of medium ripeness. Super sweet look. Ripens three months after sowing. It is resistant to late blight and rust damage. Produces good yields with minimal effort. The cobs are large, up to 22 cm, with good keeping quality. The grains are medium in size, delicate in taste.
Hybrid variety Sweet Nugget
Early ripening, sweet taste, delicate grains, large ears - can be attributed to the advantages of this variety. The ear is ready for use as early as 65 days after sowing the crop. Large grains are great for canning. For the release of super early dessert corn, the variety is irreplaceable.
Super-sweet variety, early ripening. An ear of milk can be harvested as early as 2 months after planting. The plant is undersized, but this does not prevent it from producing large fruits "stuffed" with grains. The cob sizes vary from 19 to 23 cm.
It is intended for use in any form.
Growing sweet corn: where, when and how to plant
The sweet corn plant is not capricious, but whimsical. The culture loves sunlight and regular watering; for the formation of a large, healthy cob, full of grains, the plant needs fertilizing and fertilization. You can start planting corn in early May (southern regions of the country) and late spring (middle zone of Russia).
The right choice of sweet corn variety that meets your needs and does not contradict your varietal "needs" is considered important.
Choose a site that is well lit, protected from the wind.
The soil for planting sweet corn should be enriched and aerated. Swampy soils are destructive for corn, however, as well as for most cultivated plants.
Clogged, heavy, scanty soils must be tidied up before planting. In heavy (loamy and black earth) soils, add peat, sand and organic matter in a bucket for each sq. M.
, acidic soils - limed, sandy to enrich with organic matter about 5-7 kg. per sq.m. and turf soil, 3 buckets for each "square" of the site.
In addition to the above actions, the site is dug onto a shovel bayonet, harrowed without leaving large boulders.
The predecessors for sweet corn in the crop rotation can be tuber crops, legumes, and tomatoes. In addition to these, the culture gets along with melons and cabbage.
After you have prepared the soil of your site for sowing (applied organic and potash fertilizers, dug up and harrowed), you can start calibrating corn grains, dressing and sowing.
Pay attention to the grain size and allow large and whole sweet corn seeds to be planted. A grain germination test is carried out by soaking corn seeds in a weak saline solution, only the grains that have settled to the bottom will germinate in the future.
Pre-dressing the corn seed will protect it from fungal infections. The safest solution is a strong manganese solution and soak for ten minutes.
Grains are laid out in the formed beds with a depth of 8-7 cm, in steps of 10-15 cm and sprinkled. An adjacent garden bed is placed at 40 cm for better cross-pollination.
In addition to the linear planting method, sweet corn seeds can be planted using the square nest method. The site is divided into squares and holes are formed, 9-11 cm.
, grains are planted in the grooves and covered with soil; to retain moisture, the surface is mulched.
Many gardeners practice the method of planting corn seedlings. The cultivation of sweet corn is carried out at home. In early spring, corn grains are planted in prepared containers with a substrate, and they are waiting for shoots, and after the onset of heat, the seedlings are planted in open ground.
The main rules for caring for corn
The rapid growth of corn begins with the appearance of the first node on the plant. Before flowering, the plant grows up to 11 cm per day, after which the forces are diverted to the laying and growth of the cobs.
Corn needs watering, weeding, feeding and hilling.
A good ear can only be obtained with abundant watering, two or three times a week.
Hilling and loosening of the soil is carried out for better aeration of the root system and the emergence of additional roots.
Young shoots are loosened very carefully so as not to damage.
In order for the plant to grow in full force, and the harvest to delight you with large cobs, you need top dressing. At the initial stage of the growing season, nitrogen is introduced, it stimulates the growth of the plant. A week after applying nitrogen, feed with phosphorus, it is necessary for the formation of a large and printed cob.
Potash fertilizers are applied together with phosphorus, they reduce the risks of plant lodging and strengthen the root system.
The best option for top dressing can be called the introduction of nitroammofoska and compost, at the beginning of the growing season of the plant and at the stage of ear formation.
If the corn variety is prone to lodging or the area is windy, it is best to tie up the stems in advance, before the plant grows to full growth. Weeding is done as needed a couple of times during the sweet corn growing season.
In addition to the above care measures, corn stepchildren should be removed. Leaving 2-3 ears for growth and development.
Pests and diseases of sweet corn
The most common diseases of sweet corn include:
Fusarium stem, seedling and cob, a fungal disease affecting young grains on the cob and stalk with a pale pink or grayish-gray bloom. The fight against the disease involves pre-sowing treatment of planting material, treatment of seedlings with fungicides and observance of corn crop rotation.
Putrid lesions of the stem and roots. It spreads fairly quickly over the entire surface of the plant. The reason for the precipitation is above normal, the boggy area, low temperature.
Damaging the leaves and stems with black and brown spots, leads to subsequent rotting and death of the culture. Treatment of plants with fungicides, observance of crop rotation and the sun's rays are able to rid the culture of the "infection". Remarkably, rot is rarely found in the south of the country; for the development of the fungus in full force, it needs a humid environment, constant dampness and shade.
Rust. It affects both cobs and foliage with a stem.
The causative agent is a fungus that actively develops in the summer months. The disease is contagious and difficult to remove.
The appearance of yellow and brown spots on the surface of the leaf indicates infection; it is easier to pull out and burn such a plant, preventing it from spreading to the rest of the plantings.
Non-infected plants are treated with antifungal drugs, Bordeaux liquid and copper sulfate. Observance of crop rotation and careful plowing of the site after harvest is necessary.
Dusty corn smut. The disease is widespread in the south of Russia. Affects the plant completely, including the cobs.
Has the ability to accumulate and multiply in the soil.
Pathogens are microorganisms that can destroy up to half of the crop. The affected plant lags behind in growth and development, if the ear is formed, then it turns black and decays over time, the disease leads to the inevitable death of corn.
It is not possible to achieve a complete cure of infected crops, therefore it is so important to observe crop rotation, treat seeds with fungicides before sowing and destroy the infected plant. To be safe, you can give preference to hybrid varieties that are resistant to head smut and strictly follow the rules of agricultural technology before planting.
The most common maize pests: wireworms, leaf-eating insects, scoops, swedish oat fly, darkling beetle larvae, caterpillars, meadow moths, locusts. The listed insects in large populations are capable of spoiling, devouring crops and leaving them without a crop. Therefore, it is better to prevent their appearance.
For this, plantings and soil are treated with protective biological preparations, entomophages (beneficial insects) are attracted to the site. It is necessary to observe crop rotation and carry out timely plowing of the site. If insects appear, then the treatment of plants with insecticides and the installation of pheromone traps will help.
Growing sweet corn is a laborious process, however, the taste of fresh homemade cobs will more than pay for the energy you spent.
Try not to get carried away with the "chemistry" in the cultivation process, and then, hot corn will bring you not only moral satisfaction, but also benefit.